Slightly odd electrical poser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Thanks. Interesting. At the risk of sounding clueless (I'm clueless) do you know if this would work if I just wired it directly to the battery terminals? (I already a have a two-core wire going from the dashboard through to the battery, left over from my previous (ineffective) solar panel.)

Yes that would work just make sure it is the right way round

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes that would work just make sure it is the right way round

Thanks, I think I shall give that a go

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Forgive me: one more. What's the controller for? Can you not just plug the charger direct to the battery and let it get on with it? (Things I can control often baffle me, and I end up not controlling them very well if at all.) Thanks.

Gwylan

Veteran
Thanks. Interesting. At the risk of sounding clueless (I'm clueless) do you know if this would work if I just wired it directly to the battery terminals? (I already a have a two-core wire going from the dashboard through to the battery, left over from my previous (ineffective) solar panel.)

Yes, but think of fusing it and using the thickest cables possible. Might have to find out what happens when you have the engine running and the solar panel operating.
Outside my skill base.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Yes, but think of fusing it and using the thickest cables possible. Might have to find out what happens when you have the engine running and the solar panel operating.
Outside my skill base.

Nothing will happen as the regulator is there to stop the power from the battery going back to the panal, I've been uing mine since April so far so good

I used a solar panel on a car, a number of years ago, to keep the battery topped up. On that car I was able to plug the panel into the auxiliary outlet as it wasn’t switched off by the ignition. Most cars are thought and you will need to check your specific vehicle.

If you already have a wire in place then, yes, you can use that. I assume it is grommeted where it comes through the bulkhead and is fused close to the battery?

DRM

Guru
As long as you have a regulator.

Anderson connectors are my go-to for 12v installation.

But a bit bulky, even the small grey 50A ones, but will take a thicker cable, the connecting pins need soldering with a blow lamp, or crimping with the correct tool, which is a very expensive item

Gwylan

Veteran
But a bit bulky, even the small grey 50A ones, but will take a thicker cable, the connecting pins need soldering with a blow lamp, or crimping with the correct tool, which is a very expensive item

But they survive and enforce the polarity. Have a portable (small) gas mini blow torch that does the job and doubles as a soldering iron .

CXRAndy

Guru
I run Ctek chargers on vehicles that don't get much use to keep them in good order, ready to use.
run 240v extension under car and into engine compartment, place charger under bonnet also, secure aprt from cable

Top Bottom