Slime self seal tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

As some of you may know, after 2 weeks I have had my first puncture :sad: I have been waiting as the lanes I am using until I am more confident are not the best, unmaintained and covered in rubbish... In fact a friend of my Mom's lived down there and she was always getting them on her disability scooter....

So, has anyone used the Slime self seal tubes? they do not seem to do a 700x42C which my tyres are with a presta valve... not sure if a different size would fit?

https://www.slime.com/uk/products/bike/tubes/

Stuart

Slick

Guru
I think Halfords will fill your current tubes in store for you.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Stuart!
Inner tubes come in a range, sure there isn't one that covers your tyres? Maybe 700x45?
I have tried them, they work by self sealing a small puncture (a big gash won't self seal), you spin the wheel a couple of times, then reinflate.
You might have to do this a few times, so it's not really time saving.
Also, they cannot be patched, when they stop self sealing due to loosing the slime (you loose some every time you puncture, obviously) then you have to bin them.
They are costly too, about a tenner each.
I would rather put the money toward a good pair of Marathons Originals or Marathon Plus.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thanks for the advice.. I was thinking of better tyres, the Schwalbe Smart Sam that came new with the bike are OEM versions so not as good as retail versions as confirmed by Schwalbe...

They recommended the Schwalbe G-One All Round as a good tyre and the "micro skin" version seems a good tyre, I think it is 127TPI rather than 50TPI I have... although the retail version is 67TPI

THis was there replies....

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us, your question is a good one!

You are correct; the version you have on your bike is an OEM tyre that is slightly lower performance than what you find in an aftermarket tyre. The tyre you currently have will be slightly slower rolling, less protected and will probably wear out quicker than the aftermarket verion. But they are produced to help cycle manufacturers reach thier chosen price points.

We do a full aftermarket version of your tyre in both wired and folding beads. Both of these feature the higher tpi carcass and more substantial puncture protection. In addition to this the compound of the tyre is much better too. It just depends how much you want to spend really. The wired version is heavier, but also cheaper than the folding version.

Width is also up for discussion as we don't do a direct 42mm counterpart, but we do a 40 or 45. If you can fit it in the bike I'd always recommend a wider tyre as they roll quicker and are more stable and comfortable.

I hope this information helps, but if you have any more questions, then please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Ben Tomkinson
Schwalbe UK

Hi Stuart

No problem, we all ride bikes so talking/emailing about them is always good!

Personally I'd say the G-One All Round....my personal favorite, and despite the fact that I'm lucky enough to get free tyres and I can try anything, I've had 6 sets on the bounce. Very tough, very fast and extremely grippy! The 700x38mm is quite high volume and very comfortable.

We do a cheaper performance version, and a higher end micro skin version that's tubeless, and I'd recommend that, as it's even quicker and tougher. Well worth a look.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Ben

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi Stuart!
Inner tubes come in a range, sure there isn't one that covers your tyres? Maybe 700x45?
I have tried them, they work by self sealing a small puncture (a big gash won't self seal), you spin the wheel a couple of times, then reinflate.
You might have to do this a few times, so it's not really time saving.
Also, they cannot be patched, when they stop self sealing due to loosing the slime (you loose some every time you puncture, obviously) then you have to bin them.

They are costly too, about a tenner each.
I would rather put the money toward a good pair of Marathons Originals or Marathon Plus.
Never had a problem patching afterwards. The slime was a "get me home" fix, so I'd not have to bother stopping at the roadside.

alicat

Legendary Member
One puncture doesn't make a summer.

Are your inner tubes Presta or Schrader? You can add Slime to both but Schrader is easier.

Your tyres are Schwalbe so still good quality even if made to a price point. I personally would just add Slime if I was worried about punctures.

Milzy

Guru
Just go Tubeless. Slime tubes are heavy and can fail to do their job and cause problems.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

One puncture doesn't make a summer.

Are your inner tubes Presta or Schrader? You can add Slime to both but Schrader is easier.

Your tyres are Schwalbe so still good quality even if made to a price point. I personally would just add Slime if I was worried about punctures.

They are Presta on mine :smile:

Top Bottom