slime tyre sealant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drewc65

Having just bought some slime tyre sealant just a question Do i have to wait for a puncture or can i put this stuff in the tube before to seal punctures as they happen ( hope they don't )

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Put it in the tube now. That's the idea of it. The slime will often cure the puncture without you even knowing you have one!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Best thing to do with slime is put it in the bin, but that's just my opinion.

Only if your bin is leaking :becool:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've pulled quite a few hawthorn spikes out of the MTB tyres and have carried on riding with no loss of air pressure at all. When you take the tyre of the rim, often there's quite a few alien 'Splats', every ne of those would have been a puncture.

Useless on road tyres though as the pressure it too high.

oldroadman

Veteran
Best thing to do with slime is put it in the bin, but that's just my opinion.
+1. Just carry a spare tube or tub, and learn how to change it. Any fillers add weight (not a lot, bit some) to rotating weight, and if you do get a puncture it's better to know, before it goes again and catches you out. It does of course settle at the bottom of a wheel when stationary, and feels very odd for the first few rotations. There is a similar product for motos - where a puncture is a much messier business and tyres are tubeless anyway - which works simply because they are tubeless. Anything with a tube in that punctures has two holes, one in the outer and one in the tube, and the item that caused the penetrations needs to be removed, so quite how slime or any other product can help that I fail to see.
Fans will say it just works, fine if they are happy with that. I like to know what the real situation is.

lpretro1

Remember also that if you have a valve problem or a snake bite type puncture the slime won't do anything except squirt out of the vale in the former case or get all over the inside of your tyre in the latter - then it is disgusting...

Top Bottom