Slipped crank arm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Racing roadkill, thanks! so i managed to get the crank off. The grooves on crank arm and the shaft look all good, which is great, but the retaining pin broke, annoyingly. The top half snapped off leaving the rest inside the crank (including the pin). So will need to source on of those! Not sure how to get out the remainder of the broken one out though...

You don't actually need to have it installed for the crank to function, but it would be safer with one. Here you go.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/shimano-105-fc5600-security-plate-1ge-9805/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Racing roadkill, thanks! so i managed to get the crank off. The grooves on crank arm and the shaft look all good, which is great, but the retaining pin broke, annoyingly. The top half snapped off leaving the rest inside the crank (including the pin). So will need to source on of those! Not sure how to get out the remainder of the broken one out though...

Take the crank off, remove the bolts and the piece of pin will fall out.
Post a thread in 'wanted' see if anyone has a spare.

OP
OP
Greeny76

Greeny76

Great thanks for the link. I've just got one off ebay for £3 (delivered). Actually what do you all think of the state of the grooves? In one place it's slightly smoothed out, see photo attached... (ignore the foot!) Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 62

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Does not look too healthy to me. I would refit, torqued correctly, then put a lot of pressure (jumping?) to see if it goes again. You really don't want it going when you are out on a ride. £80 gets you a lovely new chainset and protection for your nuts/teeth.

Bodhbh

Guru
Does not look too healthy to me....You really don't want it going when you are out on a ride.

Um this ^^ if it went - and it'll go while your putting down the gas - it's a nasty faceplant, and if in traffic potentially worse. It's bad enough just getting a chainslip.

OP
OP
Greeny76

Greeny76

Thanks all for the advise, I’m going for the new purchase option, don’t fancy face planting my handlebars!

si_c

Guru
It's one thing that I've never been able to figure, surely larger splines would be better than the really small ones that HT2 has given the application?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Greeny76

Greeny76

Yeah doesn't make sense really! given the load which is placed on them.

On a separate matter, does anyone have an adjustable torque wrench they would like to sell? (sorry, i would post on "wants" but i have to wait a while before i can do that)

si_c

Guru
Yeah doesn't make sense really! given the load which is placed on them.

On a separate matter, does anyone have an adjustable torque wrench they would like to sell? (sorry, i would post on "wants" but i have to wait a while before i can do that)
Screwfix is a pretty decent bet for that sort of thing.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
It's one thing that I've never been able to figure, surely larger splines would be better than the really small ones that HT2 has given the application?

Personally - I prefer the Race Face design that I have on the single speed, which still uses the same BB, but uses a single centre bolt system (like square tapered cranksets).

si_c

Guru
Personally - I prefer the Race Face design that I have on the single speed, which still uses the same BB, but uses a single centre bolt system (like square tapered cranksets).

Quite similar to the FSA BB386 crankset design which also seems more substantial than HT2 - there must be a design rationale for it though.

Top Bottom