Slippery Brooks Saddle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If quoting, please quote correctly, as I have no idea what an "Mn" is. And Pat, it's Mm, not mm! :wahhey:

OldShep

Über Member
I agree it’s a bike fit problem. That bike, I suspect, was originally built for drops and the OP will now have his hands a lot further back than designed. A longer stem or lowering the bars might help or slam the saddle forward and forget about the, controversial, KOS. I suspect though the OP thinks he’s reached an age he’d like to be more upright probably because leaning forward has become uncomfortable.
I was a lover of my Brooks saddle back in my 40s and early 50s. Looking at the OPs there is nothing to help you rotate the hips and a solid barrier of pain if you were to manage it. In my 70s now I’m pleased I discovered SMP saddles and that huge cavity let’s me keep the balance point my bike was built for.

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

Thanks everyone. Some good info there. I am 78 years of age now and a lifelong cyclist. Done Coast to Coast and LE - JOG. (969.7 miles) I started to suffer with my hips about 18 months ago. Getting on/off bike was tricky. Another cycle pal recommended I lower my seat slightly. Did this and hey presto hip pains gone. Took my other settings from Tim Hughes book Adventure Cycling. I have a good system for getting on/off which works very well for me (leaning the bike towards me)
Angle looks ok but it looks quite a long way forward, I’d move backwards 10mm. Your weight must have come too far forward. It might also be a tad too low but you would need to experiment a bi

Top Bottom