Slipping chain? hub? freewheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinC

Über Member
Chuffy said:
Chain wrap isn't the issue. I've run that exact set-up for nearly two years with no problems.

But not on that particular chain and sprocket.

You have 2 things you can change now:

1) The freehub - costs money and time

2) Take a link or 2 out the chain and try it. 5 mins.

Humour us and try the chain length first. :rolleyes:

LLB

Chuffy said:
Either way I feel I have a seriously grubby bit of fettling to do very soon....

Buy a box of vinyl gloves - £2 plus vat for 50 pairs in Bookers

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
MartinC said:
But not on that particular chain and sprocket.

You have 2 things you can change now:

1) The freehub - costs money and time

2) Take a link or 2 out the chain and try it. 5 mins.

Humour us and try the chain length first. :blush:
Tried that.
Besides, I had the 16t working, then changed to the 18t and then back to the 16t. All on the same chain length. I even bought a new 16t, just in case it was a wear issue with the old one (not that it had been ridden long enough to get worn).

I've got workshop gloves too. Doesn't stop it being a messy job.

briank

ok, I'll try again.
Why is it necessary to use a chain tensioner? Is it just that you can swap sprocket without altering the chain length.
If not, what?
(I have a fixed wheel bike I commute on occasionally and a track bike I've used at the velodrome once or twice. Never had any problem with chains coming off.)

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
briank said:
ok, I'll try again.
Why is it necessary to use a chain tensioner? Is it just that you can swap sprocket without altering the chain length.
If not, what?
(I have a fixed wheel bike I commute on occasionally and a track bike I've used at the velodrome once or twice. Never had any problem with chains coming off.)
It's not fixed, it's a single speed conversion. Hence the need for a tensioner.

briank

Chuffy said:
It's not fixed, it's a single speed conversion. Hence the need for a tensioner.

I did spot that, but don't see why that makes a difference.
(Sorry if I'm just being impenetrably thick here: :blush:what am I missing?)

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
briank said:
I did spot that, but don't see why that makes a difference.
(Sorry if I'm just being impenetrably thick here: :blush:what am I missing?)
Most fixies will have horizontal drop-outs so that you can tension the chain by moving the wheel backwards. I don't have horizontal drop-outs so I need a tensioner for the chain.

Don't worry, you've got a long way before you come even close to Bonj's level of donkey-headed obtuseness...:reading:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Dave5N said:
Use gears?
Bugger off Bonj, and give Dave back his log-in.

Dave5N

Über Member
As you I told last spring, I am Bonj.

Dunno why you keep forgetting. My thread to me on cakestop is my best work to date.

Even better, the more I tell the truth, the less I'm believed. It's like Hitler.

Or summert.

MartinC

Über Member
Chuffy said:
Tried that.
Besides, I had the 16t working, then changed to the 18t and then back to the 16t. All on the same chain length. I even bought a new 16t, just in case it was a wear issue with the old one (not that it had been ridden long enough to get worn).

I've got workshop gloves too. Doesn't stop it being a messy job.

Well, if you've tried it with better chain wrap and the chainline is right then it has to be the freehub that gets changed next.

skwerl

Chuffy: I'm now going to point out that, nearly a month ago, I suggested the freehub as the problem when you posted this in the Fixed/SS forum.

I'm not upset that you ignored my sage advice though

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
skwerl said:
Chuffy: I'm now going to point out that, nearly a month ago, I suggested the freehub as the problem when you posted this in the Fixed/SS forum.

I'm not upset that you ignored my sage advice though
:smile:
I know, I know. Hence I had a bash at squirting GT85 down the back, in the hope that it was just a bit gunged up. I thought I'd give it another run-out though, just in case there was something else to consider. I wasn't casting nasturtiums on your expertise. :biggrin:

Pearson72

Put on a new chain! If you change your sprockets then you change your chain! It's the stretch that you can't see which makes the chain jump over the new sprockets!

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Pearson72 said:
Put on a new chain! If you change your sprockets then you change your chain! It's the stretch that you can't see which makes the chain jump over the new sprockets!
Done that. Brand new chain, brand new sprocket. No difference.

Now that Christmas is here and I've got a fortnight off work I may actually get my hands dirty and start fettling!

Top Bottom