Slipping chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy clarke

I'm after some advise, recently I've been using my mountain bike as my commuter. Sometimes if I rest and free wheel and go to add power it's like the chain has come off and it hasn't, making me serve a little as I feel I going to slip out of the pedals, I cannot feel any play on the cassette, and I'm unsure of how to check a chain for wear! any help greatley appreciated thanks

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Reminds me of a problem I had last year ... Trying to remember the exact technical reasons - but it would happen after coasting just when you wanted a little power. I think it was that the freewheel sprocket things ... sprawls? get sticky? See can't quite remember - I took it to the bike shop and they replaced the bit inside the cassette I think. I think the cold weather makes the problem worse. It was also on my second bike.

Hopefully someone will translate that into more technical language! :whistle::blush:

Lanzecki

Über Member
It's most likely the free-wheel. In the days when my kids had go-carts with free-wheels that could be opened, all advise was that they shouldn't have any oil/grease them. I don't know about bike free-wheels.

As to modern free-wheels.. Not sure if they can be opened. I think not.

I'd replace the free-wheel, as you need to be sure it's going to work all the time. But I might be temped to flush it out with some degreaser. My favourite is isopropol alcohol. Get it from Maplin in a spray can.

*Edited for spelling, grammar and trying to make sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom