Slipping gears after new chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Had a similar thing replacing my chain recently, some of the teeth on the sprockets that slipped were clearly pointy rather than more squareish like new.

As 2Loose said, I put the old chain back on with a power link and used that until the cassette turned up. Had never replaced either before but was a relatively easy job :smile:

Holdsworth

Über Member
Sounds like the cassette has worn to the old chain and isn't sitting right with a brand new new and un-stretched chain. If they have been well-used they should be replaced together. I noticed that when I changed my cassette the other day after 3000 miles the old chain would not mesh well at all and would constantly click and skip gears until I made it home from the LBS and fitted a new KMC chain. All is quiet now with my drivetrain. There doesn't seem to be much wear at all on the chainrings they must be made of harder stuff than the cassettes as you never hear of them needing to be replaced too often.

Could be a sticky link in the new chain. Look at the cassette whilst turning the cranks backwards, if there is a stiff link you will see it jump as it goes over the cassette. Replace the link, or put some lubricant on it and work it loose with fingers or pliers.

OP
OP
Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie

Regular
Badly - I took the chain off, took a couple of links out, and put it back on again, it seemed perfect for about 100 yards, but as soon as I put any pressure on it, it started slipping again. Not really sure where to go from here.

I have ordered a new bike, but feel like I should get the old one going so I can return it in a decent state to my sister that I borrowed it off.

It's a bit annoying to borrow something, break it, pay to fix it, then give it back! lol! :wacko:

Pauluk

Well if it was well worn and you have not rode it much perhaps you can ask her what she wants/expects you to do. If you've had some good use out of it then perhaps you have to take it on the chin and get it repaired. Its not as if its going to cost the earth (or cost anywhere near what a car repair would cost) so whats your sisters feelings worth - just my thoughts :rolleyes:

Anyway good luck with the new bike mate.

subaqua

What’s the point
new cassette i reckon. sounds like what happened when i changed a worn chain for a new one.

Top Bottom