Slipstream etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Brompton finally delivered, and started commuting on Monday morning.

I am enjoying it immensely - not least because I've wiped 30-40 minutes off what was a 2hr commute. Currently I'm doing about 6m each way, but plan to increase this to about 12m in time.
I've learnt an enormous amount in the last two days about coping with the London rush hour, as I'm more used to riding country lanes and London on the occasional weekend.

Mind you, I didn't appreciate being told to 'get a f#c#1ng shift on' by a fellow commuter when I was held at a red light at a quiet xroads on day 1. I didn't/couldn't respond, as he was gone and away straight through the RLs.

To get to the point, though, I found myself being drafted for about 1½ miles round the Regent's Park Outer Circle this morning by one of the regular racers that use it as an exercise track.
I kept speed well up (Brompton's are fast) to not inconvenience him, as I assume he'd have passed me if he'd wanted to with little effort.
What I need to know, though, is what is the etiquette to show people drafting you if you want to turn off the road (as I did) or simply slow down?
What I actually did was signal him to pass me - is there a more subtle signal in common use?

Rhys_Po

Yes ... after a mile, it's a shout of "take your turn, you lazy twat"

u9ge

I had someone drafting me last night ask how far I was going and ask if I fancied a bit of chain gang action. I am quite pleased that he could not muster the speed to get past me, the little red light jumping tw*t so I told him I was turning off soon and stepped on the gas.

Origamist

Legendary Member
If you want to turn, indicate with your arm!

If you want to let him know you are slowing - one arm down, palm facing rearward (or if you prefer - arm up). You can also shout "slowing/stopping".

Keith Oates

Janner
You can also stop pedaling and start looking down at your rear sprocket, be careful though because he may also slow down and ask "what's wrong do you need some help"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if someone has the rudeness to draft you without asking and is right up your behind, why give them the consideration of warning them about anything? you wouldn't accept someone tailgating you in a car, would you?

I must admit that now I am more faster, I draft less, but I do catch people draft for a mile, then over take and ask them to sit on my wheel for a while.

What tends to happen is I over take and then they just fall behind, sometimes I try and wait but I figure they are okay to do what they want,and if they want to draft help themselves.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If your not happy with someone sitting right behind you, gob to the side but not down and with force, or even just spit up then duck down, or even snot rocket.
Or, do all of that, im sure he will back off then, or stay there and get a coating.

Top Bottom