Slipstream etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisz

Über Member
What's the point? You're training - if the other rider wants to actually benefit from the ride they'll take a turn on the front. If not then what the hey? Let them loaf in your draft - or better yet keep winding it up and drop them :biggrin:

Ask yourself this - who's ride is it? :angry:

neslon

Who gives an a#se? If I'm on the bike I go at my speed - if someone wants to sit in my (considerable) shadow, its no skin off my nose. After all, its not like they are sucking me backwards and even if they were, hell, its just better training. Besides, I would take it as a compliment. I think this is another exampe of you demented southerners going out of your way to look for reasons to hate each other (before anyone comments, Manchester etc is a lolng time south of here)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i was behind someone today, not even drafting. i was a good 2 meters back, and he just slammed on his brakes and skidded to a hault. i nearly hit him and looked around after i past him to see if he was avoiding anything or stopped for any reason, nothing, as soon as i past he carried on. very strange.

asterix

Comrade Member
CharlieB said:
Brompton finally delivered, and started commuting on Monday morning.

I am enjoying it immensely - To get to the point, though, I found myself being drafted for about 1½ miles round the Regent's Park Outer Circle this morning by one of the regular racers that use it as an exercise track.
I kept speed well up (Brompton's are fast) to not inconvenience him, as I assume he'd have passed me if he'd wanted to with little effort.
What I need to know, though, is what is the etiquette to show people drafting you if you want to turn off the road (as I did) or simply slow down?
What I actually did was signal him to pass me - is there a more subtle signal in common use?

Pleased to hear you are enjoying the Brompton

You kept the speed up so as not to inconvenience him? Well, that's one way of putting it!;)

Anyway, I am with Nelson on this. Someone drafted me for miles off the Wolds into York but I didn't care. I'd overtaken the guy and didn't think it likely he'd taken a turn at the front. When we split at Heworth he said he was grateful for the help as he'd been struggling with the headwind..

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
OMG1 I do this all the time..am I now considered rude..pretty soon I'm gonna be too inhibited to leave the bedroom.

personally I'm always chuffed to bits that any other cyclist feels that i am setting a good enough pace for them to draft...so I never think twice about drafting anyone else.

there's so much to learn about this cycling etiquette thing...will i ever learn it all i wonder.

If it bother's you (or make you feel a little under pressure) I would give the same advice my old man gave me when I asked him about how to deal with aggresive tailgaters on the road ....dont get angy or obsessed.... just keep slowing down and swaying about untill you come to a virtual standstill...if they dont like it, they'll pass.

Chrisz

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
personally I'm always chuffed to bits that any other cyclist feels that i am setting a good enough pace for them to draft...so I never think twice about drafting anyone else.

Spot-on mate :smile:

Twiggy

If you don't like it, hit the brakes. Slow down and let them pass.

I'll occasionally sit on someone's tail whilst I wait for a clear moment to pass. If you speed up you might end up stopping them from passing.

It really depends. I personally don't mind so much on the open road, when it's nice and clear, but when I'm heading home I don't like people following me, or at night, or in the wet. ect.

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Chrisz said:
Spot-on mate :smile:
+1 (even on a Brompton)

FootSore

If he was on a road bike he should hang his head in shame drafting a Brompton! I know they are good but they don't use them in the TDF.

It would be funny watching the mechanics change a riders bike though.

al78

Guru
neslon said:
Who gives an a#se? If I'm on the bike I go at my speed - if someone wants to sit in my (considerable) shadow, its no skin off my nose. After all, its not like they are sucking me backwards and even if they were, hell, its just better training. Besides, I would take it as a compliment. I think this is another exampe of you demented southerners going out of your way to look for reasons to hate each other (before anyone comments, Manchester etc is a lolng time south of here)

The lead rider does get a small assistance from the rider behind.

I think the issue with people drafting without permission is a safety thing. If you have someone on your wheel you have to make sure you don't do any sudden changes in speed/direction otherwise you could collide and have a nasty accident. Thus it is unfair to enforce that responsibility on someone else.

al78

Guru
FootSore said:
If he was on a road bike he should hang his head in shame drafting a Brompton! I know they are good but they don't use them in the TDF.

Bromptons would be illegal in the TDF (as would any small wheeled bike).

Blackandblue

I don't mind in principle but I've had too many instances where I stop at a red light (occasionally this involves sharp braking) and the idiot behind either wasn't looking or assumed I would RLJ like him. Once I was taken out by one of these pillocks but mostly they swerve at the last minute, give you a heart stopping moment and occasionally narrowly miss crossing pedestrians. But I'm probably starting to stray off topic a bit...

Tynan

Veteran
I don't care if someone want to draft me and I help myself when I see someone to draft

Never had no bother, I suppose at higher speeds you get a better quality of draftee

People I usually latch on to are people I can't pass so end up following all the way, but I've had the same with people following me, the odd one says thanks and says something nice about the pace, all good

on a commute there's always an excellent chance you;ll come across the same people again which is good too although there's that many riders on my commute that every day is a bit like a new day

Top Bottom