Slow and steady... beginner's progress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cadire

Cadire

Felt really tired today, but still got on the bike and did my lunchtime loop. it was quite windy (funny how I notice the wind more since I started cycling again!) and I felt quite sluggish, like the brakes were dragging slightly (they weren't).

Got back and realised that I'd achieved a PR for average speed... how odd is that!?

I think I'll have a break tomorrow as I don't want it to become a chore, and also because I think I need to better balance eating sensibly while exercising more.

I love my bike though :biggrin::bicycle:

Falco Frank

Über Member
If you haven't come across it already, have a look at The Essential Guide For New Commuters. It is pinned in the Commuting sub forum.(Sorry can't link on my 'phone).
Very helpful on road positioning, among other things.

Thanks, not seen that before:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
There seems to be a few of us venturing back out into the world of cycling, and I've enjoyed reading of others' exploits, for better or worse, so here's mine. Hopefully we can encourage each other along as we wobble our way to fitness and pleasure!

I'm coming to the end of week 2 of my reintroduction to cycling and I can feel myself getting sucked into the whole scene :smile:

I'm no speed demon, nor am I capable of bouncing through woods and dales, but I am really enjoying going at my own speed just enjoying my rediscovery of simple pleasure that is so very different from my everyday work-life.

I returned from a quick 8.3 mile lunch-time ride about an hour ago, and you know what, I feel good. I feel really good! Coming out of the shower and settling down with a cuppa at my desk I feel energised and, strangely, content.

This latest ride out is my second on a 'proper' road surface. prior to that I've been using tow paths and cycle routes (which are great and I will continue to do so) but I decided that I needed to overcome my nerves and get out on the road. My first road jaunt was a mixed bag, but mainly positive. Motorists were/are generally good at moving over, though the occasional driver seemed to think that 6" clearance between them and me was sufficient! All in all not bad, even if they are laying grit or something on the road surfaces in Herts, and I got peppered every time a vehicle went over the little piles. All good though!

My second road trip out was the same circuit, with a shortcut to reduce it from 11 miles to 8, perfect for lunchtime as it takes about 50 minutes for me to get round. I almost-but-not-quite made it all the way up a hill without stopping (the first time round I stopped and walked halfway). By the end of this week I will be disappointed if I don't make it to the top in one go :smile:

Slowly but surely I am feeling my body change, even after just 2 weeks. I am also more confident on the bike and can even look behind me now and then. I can really empathise with others who have found the initial start a bit of a struggle, but it *does* get easier and it definitely gets more enjoyable :smile:

I'm now looking forward to going out tomorrow lunchtime, though if it's nice this evening.....

You might like to post in 'Show us your,,,Newbies Progress'.

Top Bottom