Slow and steady... beginner's progress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cadire

There seems to be a few of us venturing back out into the world of cycling, and I've enjoyed reading of others' exploits, for better or worse, so here's mine. Hopefully we can encourage each other along as we wobble our way to fitness and pleasure!

I'm coming to the end of week 2 of my reintroduction to cycling and I can feel myself getting sucked into the whole scene :smile:

I'm no speed demon, nor am I capable of bouncing through woods and dales, but I am really enjoying going at my own speed just enjoying my rediscovery of simple pleasure that is so very different from my everyday work-life.

I returned from a quick 8.3 mile lunch-time ride about an hour ago, and you know what, I feel good. I feel really good! Coming out of the shower and settling down with a cuppa at my desk I feel energised and, strangely, content.

This latest ride out is my second on a 'proper' road surface. prior to that I've been using tow paths and cycle routes (which are great and I will continue to do so) but I decided that I needed to overcome my nerves and get out on the road. My first road jaunt was a mixed bag, but mainly positive. Motorists were/are generally good at moving over, though the occasional driver seemed to think that 6" clearance between them and me was sufficient! All in all not bad, even if they are laying grit or something on the road surfaces in Herts, and I got peppered every time a vehicle went over the little piles. All good though!

My second road trip out was the same circuit, with a shortcut to reduce it from 11 miles to 8, perfect for lunchtime as it takes about 50 minutes for me to get round. I almost-but-not-quite made it all the way up a hill without stopping (the first time round I stopped and walked halfway). By the end of this week I will be disappointed if I don't make it to the top in one go :smile:

Slowly but surely I am feeling my body change, even after just 2 weeks. I am also more confident on the bike and can even look behind me now and then. I can really empathise with others who have found the initial start a bit of a struggle, but it *does* get easier and it definitely gets more enjoyable :smile:

I'm now looking forward to going out tomorrow lunchtime, though if it's nice this evening.....

puffinbilly

Veteran
That hill......it's not a hill it's a slippery slope - one that's caught us all out before. Before you know it - you'll be doing fifty miles runs - working out how to find time to do more and more cycling and then you'll need a new bike to do the more miles. A slippery slope I tell you ... a slippery slope.^_^

OP
OP
Cadire

Cadire

That hill......it's not a hill it's a slippery slope - one that's caught us all out before. Before you know it - you'll be doing fifty miles runs - working out how to find time to do more and more cycling and then you'll need a new bike to do the more miles. A slippery slope I tell you ... a slippery slope.^_^

Funny you should say that, I was thinking that if I got a road bike then I could use the hybrid on tow paths and such like.... I think rational thought is being subdued by the siren call of new toys :bicycle:

FastFlyer

Regular
You sound a bit like me as I'm just starting out....need to build confidence on the roads! Got a road ride planned for tomorrow, so we shall see. :bicycle:

I'm a stones throw from Sawbridgeworth, so if you fancy venturing out on the roads with another newbie, give me a shout!

OP
OP
Cadire

Cadire

You sound a bit like me as I'm just starting out....need to build confidence on the roads! Got a road ride planned for tomorrow, so we shall see. :bicycle:

I'm a stones throw from Sawbridgeworth, so if you fancy venturing out on the roads with another newbie, give me a shout!

I certainly will! :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Well done. Just in time for summer.

Funny you should say that, I was thinking that if I got a road bike then I could use the hybrid on tow paths and such like.... I think rational thought is being subdued by the siren call of new toys :bicycle:

And then there are all the things you never knew you really needed until you see them in the LBS.^_^

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
... and I managed it on today's lunchtime run :smile:

Well done - glad you are enjoying it, it's a nice burn in the legs but not enough to KO you in the afternoon.

I got excited as I thought you were in Sandridge which is really near me. However you are the other side of Harlow! Alas, perhaps we shall cross paths one day! Keep up the great work!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How far from the kerb are you riding ?
I find if you gutter ride vehicles will close pass you but if your a couple feet out then your more in their line of sight so tend to get more room and you have room to maneuver if they dont.

paul2015

Regular
Always keep 1m between you and the kerb when its safe to be overtaken, doing this encourages drivers to pass you wider as you could easily veer to the right yet gives you a safe gap to swerve left if someone passes you close. If its not safe to be overtaken take control of the road and hang in the middle of the lane,

I've learnt this from riding motorcycles and apply it to my cycling it seems to make drivers more considerate of you

OP
OP
Cadire

Cadire

How far from the kerb are you riding ?
I find if you gutter ride vehicles will close pass you but if your a couple feet out then your more in their line of sight so tend to get more room and you have room to maneuver if they dont.

I do try and stay out of the gutter and away from the kerb and, to be fair, most drivers do give me a wide berth. Some, however, seem more averse to crossing the white lines than driving very close to me!

The worst bits are/were the 'keep left' refuges. I've now learned that I should ride almost in the middle of my lane until I'm through them!

Having spent most of this week riding on roads, I'm becoming more confident and aware, and I'm sure that helps as well as positioning.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If you haven't come across it already, have a look at The Essential Guide For New Commuters. It is pinned in the Commuting sub forum.(Sorry can't link on my 'phone).
Very helpful on road positioning, among other things.

OP
OP
Cadire

Cadire

Missed my daily ride yesterday,so thought I'd make up for it by going a little further... ended up doing half a mile shy of 30 miles!

Felt very tired when I got in as fitness levels are still very poor, but had a smile when I realised that I'd achieved my 100-mile-in-two-weeks goal. OK, that's probably the distance from the car park to the starting point on an Audax, but I feel pretty good about it.

I also learned two more things.
1. A headwind can be an awful thing, especially if one is a big old unit (like me).
2. The A414 from Ongar to Hastingwood roundabout is a looong uphill stretch that is probably best done coming the other way :smile:

Always keep 1m between you and the kerb when its safe to be overtaken, doing this encourages drivers to pass you wider as you could easily veer to the right yet gives you a safe gap to swerve left if someone passes you close. If its not safe to be overtaken take control of the road and hang in the middle of the lane,

I've learnt this from riding motorcycles and apply it to my cycling it seems to make drivers more considerate of you
Did this one day going into a right hand bend at I guess something like 20mph, and I got told by the motorist who tried to over take me on said bend, when I called him a f****** idiot, said he rides m/c better than I was riding my bike, and theres me thinking one minor spill in 20,000 wasn't bad (it could have been nasty, I landed on something soft)

Top Bottom