Spectacles and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Albrey

I had a little ride on an ebike over the weekend. First time on a bike in years. However my main concern was with my field of vision. I use varifocals, and I felt my peripheral vision was not all there.. I was wondering if cyclists tend to use single vision distance glasses, or if anyone has changed from varifocals to single vision?

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
On discussion with my optician, when reading glasses became necessary, I went for bifocals for cycling use, following advice about the levels of distortion when looking through the edges of varifocal lenses.
The bifocal bit isn't full width, so when looking behind/over the shoulder, I'm looking past the side of it, through a plain section of the lens. The bifocal bit is only used for the GPS, maps, cafe menus etc, and not for actual riding.
Doubless the level of distortion in a varifocal will depend on your prescription. I'm -6, +1.5 for the bifocal section.

Big T

Guru
I wear Varifocals in everyday life, but my prescription cycling sunglasses are single vision. I’m shortsighted, and the single vision corrects for distance. I can still read my Garmin as I’m riding along, and if I need to read anything close up at the cafe stop, I just take my glasses off. You can get varifocal cycling glasses, but I just find that I don’t need them, I manage very well with single vision.

Mike_P

Guru
The opposite, have gone to Varifocal cycling glasses as I could not read the smaller text on my Garmin. Depending on your prescription it could be that a smaller lens would be better.

I've worn varifocals for years for everyday use and for the past six years for cycling, either my everyday glasses or my cycling ones. Absolutely no vision problems during that time on the bike.
I have a second pair of single-vision cycling glasses from years ago, which I tried when my prescription on my newer pair was being changed and I couldn't wait to get back to the v-f glasses.

Just like most things in life there is no one-size-fits all solution.

The only answer is to try it and see, but that can be a bit expensive.

Venod

Eh up
I have a pair of Optilabs varifocal cycling glasses, but don't wear them I prefer my Specsavers varifocals I have ho problems with them, they are just better quality than the cycling glasses.

Mike_P

Guru
I have a pair of Optilabs varifocal cycling glasses, but don't wear them I prefer my Specsavers varifocals I have ho problems with them, they are just better quality than the cycling glasses.

Opposite in my case. The cycling ones from Optilabs are find but the latest plain glasses from Specsavers are definite head movers to focus on things. Maybe too big a lens for my prescription. I trod on them accidently yesterday, seemingly the main frame and the frame to the lenses are separate and either glued or soldered together and it was that joint that broke on part. So far no success gluing back together so it looks like another pair to buy. It was wearing the Optilabs ones as a consequence for normal on house activity that showed up the difference.

Varifocals all the time and never any issues
Likewise.

gcogger

I'm a fan of bifocals for cycling (and other) use, for exactly the same reasons as the OP. It's easy to read the Garmin display (and menus at the cafe ^_^), but still has great clarity off centre.
Given the other responses, it looks very much like a personal preference thing.

Chislenko

Veteran
Just a different view, I tried varifocals some years back and couldn't get on with them.

I wear my normal distance glasses and momentarily push them up off my eyes if I want to read the bike computer.

Admittedly I only use the computer for speed / distance etc and not for navigation so don't look at it that often.

I use plain lenses for cycling. I use a rounded frame with sufficient height to see when my head is down. Avoid those narrow rectangular shapes which dominated opticians shelves for the last decade.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just a different view, I tried varifocals some years back and couldn't get on with them.

I wear my normal distance glasses and momentarily push them up off my eyes if I want to read the bike computer.

Admittedly I only use the computer for speed / distance etc and not for navigation so don't look at it that often.

Similar here, could do with varifocals, but pushing the glasses down, I can read the screen on the Garmin.

Top Bottom