Spectacles and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have worn glasses since I was a child with a quite strong prescription for short sightedness. For most of my life, until I was in my late forties, single vision lenses were fine but I noticed close focusing becoming a problem and it was suggested that I needed reading glasses as well. Without glasses I could see well for fine or close up work but it was the slightly further vision that needed help, and the normal prescription for mainly outdoors. I tried varifocals but at that time the technology gave a defined area where I felt I had to look directly at things to see distance and then the edges and particularly the lower part of the lens graduated to the reading strength. This led to annoyances when working in the garage for example as if I dropped a small item on the floor it was hard to find without scanning areas which I had to look directly at to see clearly. Plus the danger of tripping when out walking as the lower field of vision was not sharp. It was almost better to not be wearing glasses at all. It may be these were a dud pair. The worst thing was while driving or motorcycling when at junctions I had to look directly at whatever I wanted to see rather than making use of peripheral vision to be aware of dangers. I went back to single vision and reading glasses for a while.

After discussion with the optician, I tried a slightly weaker prescription for daily use, maybe half or one dioptre less than the full prescription which worked really well for several years. I could still read number plates and distant road signs, and the loss of pin sharp far distance vision was more than compensated for by far better close up vision. I kept a set of full prescription single vision specs for night driving or situations where I might need specific distance sharpness. This might not suit everyone, but it was a good compromise for me. The lack of close up vision is something that happens to just about everyone as they age, as the lens of the eye becomes less elastic. It's known as loss of accommodation.

More recently, I have tried varifiocals again and found that they are much better than they were. The area of clear distance vision is much larger now, maybe because varifocals are cheaper and more common so what was a premium product or "extra" is now standard. The close up area is not so obtrusive, but easy to use. You don't need a neck like an owl to focus on distant objects. My current pair are from ASDA opticians, of all places.

When I was much younger an optician told me that people who wear glasses all the time tend to be much more finicky about their eyesight than the general population who take their sight for granted, and notice and follow up any changes. I've found this tendency in myself. I've not quite been as afflicted as the cartoon character Mr Magoo but like many people who live with a long term affliction, you tend to become your own expert, and find ways of dealing with it that suits you.

Big T

Guru
I actually go a different route and wear contacts for rides, I just prefer having those rather than my glasses on.
I wore contact lenses for cycling and in everyday use for about 30 years, but they started to irritate my eyes, culminating in a corneal Ulcer about 10 years ago, so I gave up on them and have gone back to wearing specs. Around the same time, I got my first pair of prescription cycling sunglasses and I wear these all the time whilst cycling now.

Mike_P

Guru
I think that maybe the problem with my Optilabs glasses, the are significantly bigger than my everyday wear, so quite a noticeable difference.

I sent them my prescription as I had been told it needed small lenses and they recommended a couple of frames which they sent out to try.

Sharky

Guru
I'm shortsighted and need glasses for watching TV and driving etc. Tried varifocals a few years ago, but could not get on with them, so have a single prescription lens.

For cycling though, I do without. I found that the top part of the frame blocked my vision, especially when on the drops. Lifting my head up more to compensate, resulted in more neck ache.

I also found, especially when I was commuting in the dark, that the lenses gradually collected dirt /moisture on the out side, giving a gradually reducing clear vision.

So just do without when I'm cycling. Can easily see the way ahead and any obstacles in the way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm shortsighted and need glasses for watching TV and driving etc. Tried varifocals a few years ago, but could not get on with them, so have a single prescription lens.

For cycling though, I do without. I found that the top part of the frame blocked my vision, especially when on the drops. Lifting my head up more to compensate, resulted in more neck ache.

I also found, especially when I was commuting in the dark, that the lenses gradually collected dirt /moisture on the out side, giving a gradually reducing clear vision.

So just do without when I'm cycling. Can easily see the way ahead and any obstacles in the way.

That's your excuse for not waving at passing cyclists. SMIDSY - who is that blob ?

I use RX inserts in cycling glasses. I have some Choakleys which have been way better quality wise than some 'original' M Frames I had years ago that kept cracking. I just had the optician sort out some RX inserts and I use these fixed in any sports glasses. I just need the right type of nose bridge, where the insert can fit between the rubber and glasses frame.

I use large diameter/size varifocals with light-reactive lenses. Sorted.
With single vision I can either read the garmin or the road, but not both..

I'm starting to have the same problem with my single visions specs. It is time to seize the thorns, I cannot deny the aging process forever ...

One small concern is that my Dad tried bifocals (or vari? not sure) on the bike, and felt like he was floating 5' above the ground. Probably fun in small doses!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm starting to have the same problem with my single visions specs. It is time to seize the thorns, I cannot deny the aging process forever ...

One small concern is that my Dad tried bifocals (or vari? not sure) on the bike, and felt like he was floating 5' above the ground. Probably fun in small doses!

It was seeing your specs that made me go a similar design, (clearly I don't rock them as well), but I really don't find varifocals an issue.
The first time ever you wear them they feel a bit weird, but you soon adapt. Worth going for large diameter and the largest area of 'high magnification' you can afford as this increases the sweet spot area and reduces distortion.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Trouble is, my first "new generation" varifocals were so big, I felt like Elton John, and wondered if people were surreptitiously looking at me. They weren't of course, but my current ones are quite a bit smaller. My next ones will be just a bit bigger, to give me a bit more side coverage for my peripheral vision. I'm gradually getting there.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
When riding more generally I can just about read my gps so don't wear/carry my specs ... but of course it's slowly getting worse. When touring, if I need to delve into more details I really do need my specs. I've also reached the age where clarity of far objects is starting degrade e.g. distant road signs.
Naturally I'll be taking these matters up at my next visit to the optician and am grateful for the information in the different solutions folks have discussed.
Thanks for everyone's contributions 👍

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes I use single vision prescription cycling glasses. No problems reading gps with them as it’s far enough away to fall into distance focus of eyes. I have separate glasses for reading but as per another poster up thread I just take glasses off when looking at cafe menus. If touring I bring my reading glasses along with me.

Mike_P

Guru
Best to have glasses without a prescription insert IMO - aside from the odd look I had a couple of instances of an insect quite disractingly walking along the outer side of the insert

Big T

Guru
Best to have glasses without a prescription insert IMO - aside from the odd look I had a couple of instances of an insect quite disractingly walking along the outer side of the insert
Yes, I’ve had a pair of those too. I found they can fog up, get moisture between the outer lens and prescipotion lens. I also found that my eyelashes catch on the prescription inserts.

Mike_P

Guru
I also found that my eyelashes catch on the prescription inserts.
That's more down to the arms not being long enough. Measure the length of those on a normal pair of glasses and compare, if the cycling glasses have little of a drop at the end that may be less of an issue but some have a noticeable drop meaning little forward adjustment is possible

colly

Re member eR
Bifocals for everyday use and a pair of £16 sunglasses with a 2.5x reading insert. My distance vision is not too bad so I use the sunspecs. I could wear my everyday specs when riding because they do have reactive lenses but for one thing they don't really go dark enough when out in really bright sun and they also don't fit so snug on the head. Having them fall off while riding would be expensive.
At £16, the sunspecs with a reading insert I'm not so worried about.

Top Bottom