Spectacles and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I wear varifocals all the time and cycle with them fine. Though if it is sunny, my sunglasses are single vision prescription.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've worn varifocals for years for everyday use and for the past six years for cycling, either my everyday glasses or my cycling ones. Absolutely no vision problems during that time on the bike.
I have a second pair of single-vision cycling glasses from years ago, which I tried when my prescription on my newer pair was being changed and I couldn't wait to get back to the v-f glasses.

Just like most things in life there is no one-size-fits all solution.

The only answer is to try it and see, but that can be a bit expensive.

Same here, my cycling glasses are varifocals, the same as my normal specs. I have no problems with the field of vision whatsoever.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Everyday varifocals too, no problems when cycling. Cycling glasses, photochromatic main lenses, with varifocal inserts. The inserts are very small, and I do find a lack of peripheral vision. I'm about to replace them with a pair of standard prescription glasses with photochromatic lenses, for use on the bike. Could it be that the OP, being unused to riding a bike, was not moving his head to the side as much as one does normally with varifocals?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My cycling glasses are photochromotic varifocals (not inserts) and I find them excellent. My only field of vision issues is glancing behind to make sure I haven't left the OH behind, but that isnt a varifocal vs normal issue, that's just not looking through any part of the specs issue, unless i turn my head more.

boydj

Legendary Member
I have Bolle cycling glasses with single-vision distance lenses which I use for both cycling and golf. I have cycled in my varifocals with no issues, though they are useless for golf.

I think to some extent it depends on the prescriptions and the difference between the distance and reading elements and the quality of the lenses, since there are different options for the varifocals.

pawl

Legendary Member
I use varifocal sun glasses from Optilabs spec savers prescription I wanted Specsavers to fit varifocal sun glasses to my normal cycling sun glasses but they refused as they only fit lenses to the frames they supply.They we’re not able to supply the normal type of cycling sun glasses frame.

I wear contacts on leisure rides (so I have a choice of sunglasses without breaking the bank) but for commuting I wear my glasses as I need to see/ read things up close and that is not possible with my contacts (I think you get dearer weighted contacts that are bifocal). My glasses are single vision though.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I wear contacts on leisure rides (so I have a choice of sunglasses without breaking the bank) but for commuting I wear my glasses as I need to see/ read things up close and that is not possible with my contacts (I think you get dearer weighted contacts that are bifocal). My glasses are single vision though.
I'm presuming you have astigmatism if you're looking at toric (weighted) lenses. I've recently tried with one lens for distance and the other (non-dominant eye), for nearer vision. I seem to cope with that quite well, so I'm going to get my contract changed to those.

Well, I've just been prescribed Distance glasses plus Cataracs in one eye and one starting in the other and was informed that without them I was illegal to drive (the Glasses that is) so having had them for some few weeks now find that sight for distance has improved, but as to using them for cycling found that they were awkward for reading the gps (though never have a problem reading the GPS without glasses) though with the distance glasses on, found that judging distances closer to me they didn't seem any good, I did take it up with the optician who assured me that I'd get use to them? While at the same time telling me after my Cataracs were done I probably won't need them, ( this was after I'd chosen so quite good ones) as have been wearing glasses for close up work since the late 1980s at moment confidence for riding is at an all-time low because I just can't get used to the glasses for riding, I've invested in one of those straps that attach to the spec's arms, so I don't lose them, but it still doesn't feel right. Anyway, we will see after I've had the cataracts done. One good thing though which you'll probably laugh at is those shorter road signs don't look like people standing at the side of the road.

I'm presuming you have astigmatism if you're looking at toric (weighted) lenses. I've recently tried with one lens for distance and the other (non-dominant eye), for nearer vision. I seem to cope with that quite well, so I'm going to get my contract changed to those.

Just auld age blindness. I've been short since College (or at least wore glasses to correct that) and now I'm getting older with them I can't really focus on anything closer than 1ft from my face. No problem with glasses I can just look beneath them but that's not possible with contacts. For general riding that's not a problem either but on the TT bike lol, the computer is a bit close to my face. I haven't really looked into it but I think you can get varifocal lenses. I heard of folk doing the one lens thing, it might feel alien/ nauseating at first but I guess you'll get used to it.

mikeIow

Guru
I get on fine with my varifocal glasses 🤷‍♂️

Used to have a great pair of Optilabs Flip lens - useful to flip up if you come to a very shaded backroad - but the arm broke in a faintly irreparable way.
Incidentally, when I got them, the ones that arrived had a smaller (top to bottom) glasses insert than advertised: they then found they had changed supplier, & they kindly sent me an older pair of the bigger lens. For varifocal, the greater the size of the lens, the easier it is for them to work (but the gnarlier they might look on you 🤓🤪

I’ve been meaning to replace them, but a) they were pretty pricy (well over £300), & b) I ought to get a more up to date eye test……
…..& that might lead to me wanting to replace my normal specs too, rendering the whole thing a fiscal disaster!

postman

Legendary Member
With my long thin spiders legs,my sloping top tube,the scaffolding seat post and my garish cycling tops I look a spectacle.

Top Bottom