Slow commute today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've been rubbish on the bike in the last couple of weeks, feeling a bit tired. Figured it might be because I'm putting a bit too much effort into my commuting and not recovering properly. Rode in today in 42x23 and tried not to open my mouth the whole way (I failed a couple of times because of uphill bits and accelerating out of junctions, but was mostly successful).

Hardly even felt the ride in, but it was surprisingly difficult to ride so slow. I'm going to see if I can stick with it for a few days, see how it works out.

Strangely I arrived at work at much the same time as usual.

And I still overtook the one cyclist I encountered today, although he was wearing an enormous quilted coat and pedalling with his heels. Now waiting to see if I can resist when someone overtakes me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No-need for that one gear - I'd just drop the speed a notch or two and spin a bit rather than stick in a particularly low gear.

You do need rest days, but don't think about 'resting' too much, just ease off slightly.

Your not fighting of a cold or something are you ? .... I took it easy this morning as I was coughing up flem...dodgy chest.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I quite enjoyed it on the way home, relaxing, I went even slower than on the way in. As for the low gear it was just sort of fun to try and not change it, I need my little mindgames.

I'll take a few more easy days and see how it works out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't do slow, but easy days means I drop 1 gear.... and try and losten the muscles up rather than giving it some !!

As most 'racing cyclists' will say - there is a pyramid effect - lots of slower miles, less higher speed miles, then just a few really fast miles to pick up the form - it's OK if you have the time...the rest of us have to ride like stoopid when time permits....

I don't particularly ride fast on the way to work because im not usually pushed for time but on the way home tomorrow im off for twelve days after tomorrows shift.:smile:

Top Bottom