slow cooker Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
i used high for 2 hrs then low for 4..i think the meat was just tough..

or switch it to Auto , which does that for you. ours is nearly 20 yrs old now and has that function

Leaway2

Lycrist
[QUOTE 4091770, member: 76"]@meta lon buy a joint of gammon, remove packaging and place in slow cooker. Pour in full fat PROPER Coca Cola until the joint is covered. Cook on low all day. Pour out the coke and enjoy the tastiest Gammon you will ever have eaten :hungry:
I also made this at the weekend.... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/74788/spicy-beef-curry-stew-for-the-slow-cooker/ Veeeery tasty[/QUOTE]

Mmmm Gammon that is high in salt now with added sugar. Gives you high blood pressure and rots your teeth in one portion :laugh:

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I love ham and the mrs loves coke..we have a winner..

we usually quick boil a ham 3,4 times to remove as much salt as poss the boil it..
i do like it roasted mind..

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Tomorrow's dinner has gone into the slow cooker... an old favourite - Beef Brisket with Onions.

View attachment 115308
  • Beef brisket (browned all over on a very hot skillet)
  • Lots of red and white onions (sliced and caramelised on the skillet)
  • Lots of garlic (coarsest chopped and browned with the onions)
  • Beef stock
  • A decent red wine (in this case a 2013 Chateau La Croix Saint-Pierre)
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Dark soy sauce
  • Pepper and a little salt (the soy sauce contains lots anyway)
  • A pinch of Colman's Mustard Powder
Coat the brisket in the salt and pepper. Brown it on a very hot skillet (you'll need your extractor fan on) until the outside begins to caramelise. The browned brisket then goes into the the slow cooker, and you sprinkle the mustard powder over the top. You then caramelise the onions and pop them on top of and around the brisket. Mix all the liquid items and pour over - don't forget to deglaze the skillet with a little of the red wine and add the reduction to the mix.

This will go on the low setting for about 8 hours. It'll then be left to cool and refrigerated overnight. Before serving you remove any fat from the top and reheat. Reheating can be done in the slow cooker or (more quickly) in the oven. If you like to slice your brisket, then reduce the cooking time slightly (6-7 hours). I like mine to be almost shreddable with a fork, so I leave it 8-9 hours (depending on the piece of meat).

It'll be served for lunch tomorrow accompanied with root veg mash, steamed spinach and carrots.

It works without having everything covered with liquid?

Top Bottom