Slow Cooker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have a slow cooker, and only ever use it for stews. I've found one pan recipes, unless there's a real need for slow cook times, are just less faff when done in a pan since you have to sear meat, caramelise veg etc. If saving money and time is a motivator, I advise people to check out pressure cookers, they reduce cooking times and total gas/electric use considerably. They make tough meats tender, and it makes cooking bulk purchased dried beans and lentils far cheaper than the tinned stuff too, without the long cooking times that put many people off.
I was wondering if pressure cookers were still used by anyone. I had one decades ago and it was great for me, but I haven't got one now. Your point about the dried pulses is a good one, I'd forgotten that benefit, I'll have to have a think, as I do eat lots of them.

Nowadays, you can get fancy electric ones, the instapot is on trend these days, but the element will eventually fail, and it will end up in a land fill. Opt for a stainless steel hob model, Kuhn Rikon Duromatic models are pricey, but will last you decades, and if any part fails, they guarantee that the spare parts will be available for some time! My model has a 10-year guarantee! Based on savings on pulses and lentils and gas it won't take long to pay itself back ;)

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
We don’t use ours much as it seemed that no matter what we did, everything just tasted of “stew”. Never tried a curry in it though. It still comes out most winters for for mulled wine. Slosh a couple of bottles in at breakfast and you’re sorted for the evening.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was wondering if pressure cookers were still used by anyone. I had one decades ago and it was great for me, but I haven't got one now. Your point about the dried pulses is a good one, I'd forgotten that benefit, I'll have to have a think, as I do eat lots of them.
I’ve just made a kg each of kidney beans and Chick peas in mine. Taste much nicerer and very little faff. Divide into 250g per bag and chuck ‘em in the freezer :-)

Useful when you are out all day and want to come back home to a big filling stew type thing.
Lamb shanks do well.
Beef shin and blade but dont cut them small, leave in 2" chunks.
Oxtail.
Whole chicken
You can experiment with the height of the fluid level.
I 1/4 onions and cut root veg into 2" length. Big carrots are much better than small.
Red meat needs browning. I dust in flour with salt and pepper.
Mushrooms are better when fried off and if you have time, sweat the onions.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you want every meal to taste stewed to death, get one. Wave goodbye to your tastebuds. You’ll not be needing them.
I’m not a fan, I think in 30 years I’ve used mine half a dozen times. But it’s not without its uses when meeds must.
I also have a Mr D’s thermal cooker which I prefer as it uses no power and does pretty-much the same job - great in the camper.

Top Bottom