Slow cooker curry question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I plan to do a lamb curry in the slow cooker BUT I am 'planning' to use a jar of curry paste.
I want to pad it out with a can of tomatoes plus mushrooms, onion and red pepper.
I am worried that the above will weaken the curry flavour too much.
I have curry powder, chillies, garlic and ginger.
So........
Should I gamble and add some at the cooking stage, wait and see or will it be OK as it is ?

Jameshow

Veteran
Wait and see..

You can add it but you cain't easily take it out...

I'll be round later .!👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you are using a jar of paste like Pataks they do tell you too add the chopped tomatoes, fresh coriander and ginger. I do find that most of those pastes, even the supposedly hot ones like Vindaloo, are a bit mild for my taste so add some chillies (fresh best) for extra bite, plus any other spices or ingredients which you like.

I plan to do a lamb curry in the slow cooker BUT I am 'planning' to use a jar of curry paste.
I want to pad it out with a can of tomatoes plus mushrooms, onion and red pepper.
I am worried that the above will weaken the curry flavour too much.
I have curry powder, chillies, garlic and ginger.
So........
Should I gamble and add some at the cooking stage, wait and see or will it be OK as it is ?

Most slow cooker recipes I've followed have you cook it on High for a time then switch to Low. Maybe do a taste test at the switchover point and add extra spice if a bit bland?

I don't use my slow cooker much but I do add other stuff to a jar of curry sauce
I generally find that if I don;t add extra spices - or curry power - to the extra vegetables then it ends up tasting rather weak

Personally I prefer to brown an onion and and the spices to that before lobbing it in with the meat and sauce

My most recent "dish" is leftover turnkey from the weekend (it was a backup plan for last Christmas when there was a MAJOR warning about a lack or turkeys
It consisted of a chopped onion, a tin of tomatoes and a jar of Balti sauce
then I chucked in several teaspoon-fulls of chilli powder, cumin and coriander - plus some garlic powder
TI often add a chopped pepper as well

Seems to work if I add enough spices but I can always tell if I have been stinky on teh spices as the taste is weaker

Anyway - that is what I do - can't see why it wouldn;t be the same with a slow cooker - probably even better as the spices get to soak through everything better!
anyway - thanks for the reminder that I have a slow cooker sitting in the back of teh cupboard - I must start using it more often!

I find it is best to get the spices and paste well cooked into the meat before adding the tomatoes and water otherwise the it can be rather bland with the taste 'sitting on top' of the curry.

Yes - As I fry/brown the meat and onions first I chuck it in then - but if you are doing it all directly in the SC then I suppse you could coat the meat first and leave it to soak in overnight?????
(please answer as I have no idea if this is right or not!!!!!)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks to all.......I picked the best and went as follows.
Browned the meat......chucked it into SC.
Fried the mushrooms and onions together with extra curry powder......into the SC.
Added the curry sauce plus can of tomatoes plus tomato pure.
It's cooking now and smells lovely.

Thanks to all.......I picked the best and went as follows.
Browned the meat......chucked it into SC.
Fried the mushrooms and onions together with extra curry powder......into the SC.
Added the curry sauce plus can of tomatoes plus tomato pure.
It's cooking now and smells lovely.

What time should we come???
;-)

Top Bottom