Is it worth adding potatoes AND lentils to slow cooker meal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am going to make a slow cooker curry.
I have a can of potatoes and I also have a can of lentils**.
Is it an over kill to use both??
**I never in my life used lentils.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Trust me......it's never a good idea to add lentils to anything except the dustbin. Potatoes always have my blessing.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I am going to make a slow cooker curry.
I have a can of potatoes and I also have a can of lentils**.
Is it an over kill to use both??
**I never in my life used lentils.

My kids love lentils. Someone but they can make you windy! 💨
Normally cook them on the hob in soup or daal, but would add them for last hour or so in slow cooker if they are tinned. Think they are a good.source of protein

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Just let em rip. Good way to compete with the Dog.

Just blame the dog. The Blame Hound (though the dog doesn't come to work with me or sleep in our bed)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd say either or, not both. For me it would make it too starchy. If you've ever had Dhansak then I'd recommend making that, but just make your base curry and add boiled lentils or yellow split peas at the end. They'll go mushy if left in for the whole slow cook

vickster

Legendary Member
I disagree with Slowmotion. My old nan used to make a lovely Lentil and bacon soup...

Potatoes with lentils in a curry though has a potential to make it quite thick depending on the amount of lentils but it won't do it any harm if you like a hearty meal...

Depends on the lentils. Red yes as they go mushy, green no as they hold their form if tinned and not at all starchy (a good source of protein for non meat eaters as noted but can be erm hard to digest)

I love lentils in a curry, chilli or soup. Or as a swap for half the meat in a bolognese or cottage pie.

As they're canned, they're likely to be the green ones. I'd add them about an hour before serving, else they'll fall apart. TBH there's nothing wrong with adding both potatoes and lentils to a curry (especially if it's a veggie one), although largely, I prefer chick peas for a curry as they stay intact.

Lentils don't give me the farts. Heaven knows as I eat plenty of them.

Love mejadra as well, which is a mix of rice, spiced lentils and loads of fried onions. One of the world's greatest comfort foods.

Top Bottom