Curry paste (or alternative) suggestions SLOW COOKER MEAL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I believe that using all base ingredients is best but circumstances dictate simpler methods.
My ingredients were all the obvious eg chicken, mushrooms, peppers, onions etc.
I tried Sharwoods paste and was quite impressed.
Just wondering what you all use.

vickster

Legendary Member
Pataks usually (I don't cook curries often so buy in small quantities, not big jars).

I don't put chicken in however, veggie with/without paneer for me :smile: Or peppers as they don't agree with me :laugh: (nor does onion so I use very sparingly!)

I use Pataks jars normally
Although I normally add an extra onion and fry it with some extra spices
I also cook it for far longer than the instructions say - and add extra water to stop it drying out

If I was doing it in a slow cooker I would do them same - maybe add a bit of stock and veg

potsy

Rambler
I would sometimes use the slow cooker pouches, add a tin of chopped tomatoes to eek out an extra portion or two, maybe add extra peppers and an onion.
Depending on how hot you like your curries add a spoonful of curry powder.

Am assuming that @Dave7 isn't about to raid my kitchen cupboards, sooo...

Into a hot frying pan... A couple of tablespoons of oil, some finely chopped garlic and finely chopped ginger, some curry powder to taste*. Sweat that off for a bit, then add one large or two small sliced onions and cook till the onions are nice and soft but not golden.

Slow cooker... One can of chopped tomatoes, a stock cube (either veg or chicken) and the contents of the frying pan.

Brown off your meat (if using) and add to the crock pot. Cook on low for about 5 hours before adding a can of chick peas and your veggies cut into decent sized chunks. Cook for a further 3 hours. If you want a creamy curry, add a tablespoon or two of natural yoghurt or double cream.

* There are loads of different curry powders around, so use what you prefer. For a basic generic curry as given above, I use a mild one or garam masala and then throw in chilli to taste.

Top Bottom