Small back packing/hiking Sleeping bag help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I'm looking for a sleeping bag that will not take up a lot of space for hiking in british Spring/summer I have a fairly good bag (warmth wise) which is ok on the bike on my welsh bothy trips but would take up far too much space in a back pack as I will not use it a massive amount I'm looking at the lower end of the market but without being totally naff , any ideas anyone ?

Cheers

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The 'Moonbag' is pretty good for lightweight summer stuff.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Spring has some pretty variable weather. Look at the minimum temperatures that you anticipate encountering and match your sleeping bag to those. There's nothing more miserable than shivering through the night in an inadequate bag.

I agree with Vernon but keep in mind that different insulating materials compress differently. A down bag will compress much more than a Hollofill bag. Down bags can also be fluffed out for more loft and insulation or left squashed flat for less insulation. This is especially true of the fill has a lesser quality down fill. I'm not sure what it is called but it is the opposite of Eiderduck down.

As above. They are too many variables to take into account and not enough information.

Early or later spring? Early or late summer?
Are you a warm or cold sleeper?
Do you sleep with clothes on our use a longer?
Where in the UK - the weather is wildly variable!
How high vertically are you considering camping?
Ate you even camping? Bivvying? Bothying?

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Cheers everyone, my winter outing are limited to Bothies so not really a problem with the cold, I work out side all day so am fairly hardened to it and sleep cold at night no heating window open most nights. The camping will be limited to late spring to early autum so it more a size thing really rather than a performance thing ! As I've found out before with sleeping bags whatever temp rating is on the bag need to be taken with a pinch of salt I've had a £10 bag out perform a £50 bag and all the other bags of various sizes and prices we have as a family costing somewhere in between. I also forgot to mention I use an ex army bivi bag over the top mainly to protect the bag rather than give any extra warmth.

Cheers again all

Top Bottom