Small wheeled road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
No way is the Dash going to be less than a grand. If it's not part of the official UK range (the current minibike models aren't) you'd have to import it yourself, or get one care of Mark Bickerton (Dahon's UK agent) who might be able to get one in for you.

oh well.. looks like too much hassle. it would have been a spare/toy bike that wouldn't get much use anyway.. but thanks for the tips!

byegad

Legendary Member
My 2002 model Dahon Speed-Pro is stiff and handles really well. It will ride hands off and honking doesn't cause any issues at the back, although the front has a bit of flex. Speed and distance wise I rode mine as much as my Club Tour and there was little to choose between them, with the Dahon being better up hill in my opinion. I no longer ride two wheels so the Speed-Pro was going up for sale, until my wife rode it and took it over as 'much nicer' to ride than her Dahon Boardwalk folder.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've watched a couple of folding bike races, and the Airnimals looked like the cats pyjamas - but, then again, they might have had the fastest riders.

They are quick. I've time-trialled on an Airnimal. I wouldn't've considered that on a Brompton, except perhaps on boxing day.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd go for the Joey over the Chameleon.
The dual-drive IS good, but as mentioned is heavier and the 36 to 106" gear on the Joey is just fine, will get you pretty much anywhere and is simple and reliable. The bike is nimble feeling on the road. Can easily be converted to drops with a bar-end shifter as well.
http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/bike-reviews/bike-test---airnimal-joey/829.html
Edited for talking bollocks.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I had an Airnimal Joey for a while. I liked it very much. Gear range would get me anywhere I wanted to go, including light touring in hilly areas. Packs small and quick enough to get on crowded local two-carriage trains when needed (but you wouldn't want to do it every day). Probably one of the cheaper options too, Spa cycles often have low prices for Airnimal bikes.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Nice green background on that site!

Fiona N

Veteran
Airnimal Chameleon - full-on road bike. I took mine on training camps in Mallorca and had no problems keeping up with the guys on the usual road bikes.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
@Yellow Fang

I've had AM & TSR Moultons, either would fit your stairs & flat requirement,
but would not be a suitable candidate for commuting on a train.

The Dahon Speed Pro that I had would suit both needs, & rides well, once
you get used to it, my impression was that it was a stiff (as in rigid) bike.

Lately I've been riding an Airnimal Joey, this rides just like a 'normal' bike,
is easily transportable, easy to carry, & is quite light.

The Moultons & Airnimals have carried me over 90 miles a day, whilst I only
covered about 80 on the Dahon; so they all ride well.

fatmac

Top Bottom