Smart Lunar 60 Lux light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Currently on sale at Planet X at £11.99 http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LISMLU60/smart-lunar-60-lux-front-light so worth a punt??

I finally got out to ride in the dark with mine last night, so here's my views/thoughts;

The beam is very narrow so only lights up directly in front, which is fine most of the time, but cornering is an issue as the amount of light to the edges is minimal.
I bought 2 of these lights & had one pointed about 9/10 feet in front of my wheel & the other pointing much further ahead & this worked well. Not sure 1 on its own would be adequate on unlit roads.
For riding on lit roads I'm sure this light would be more than adequate, but i did a 15 mile ride on mainly unlit roads & managed an average speed of 17mph so even on unlit roads they are fairly decent, but I wouldn't have wanted to be going any faster.

At £11.99 I doubt there is a better light, especially if like me you prefer AAA battery lights rather than rechargeable, but if you are riding in unlit areas i would probably fork out for something a little better

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The Smart Lunar 60 Lux light is certainly durable, I have had mine about 2 years (in bad weather) and it has never let water in so does not randomly turn on like some lights.
It will not be sufficient for an unlit country lane - I speak from experience. I use the Lunar in flashing mode, I then double up at the Front with a Moon Meteor - this is a tiny USB re-chargeable light that kicks out 100 lumens for £26 or 200 lumens for £35 > cart
Together, these do the job!
The Smart Lunar rear light that came as a set DOES however leak and let in water - This is probably down to my own poor maintenance - I need to apply some of the gel that came with the lights. It basically can light up when not in use, so when I come to use it, it is dead! Forgot to mention, the Smart Lunar rear light is blindingly bright.!

Currently on sale at Planet X at £11.99 http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LISMLU60/smart-lunar-60-lux-front-light

At £11.99 I doubt there is a better light, especially if like me you prefer AAA battery lights rather than rechargeable, but if you are riding in unlit areas i would probably fork out for something a little better

Thanks for the review.

I may get one as I have two more of their front lights which use the same case and mount and I like to standardise.

I also prefer AA to AAA batteries which is why I like this range.

But you say AAA?

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Thanks for the review.

I may get one as I have two more of their front lights which use the same case and mount and I like to standardise.

I also prefer AA to AAA batteries which is why I like this range.

But you say AAA?

Too many As (I blame my fat fingers). Sure they are just AA batteries :thumbsup:

carcharodon

Really good lights the Lunars, especially the 60 lux.
I run mine on nickel metal hydride batts
(2500 mAh GP's)
No complaints with the mounting brackets either.
The R1 1 watt rear lights don't last as long as the older 1/2 watt model though..which seem bright enough...

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Well happy with my 60 Lux Lunar. Had it two years now and no problems at all.
As previously said they are more than adequate on lit roads.
My R1 rear lights good too.... all in all a very good set :okay:

Trickedem

Guru
Very pleased with these lights. I've done a couple of night rides on my Brompton using them and they work really well.

Used mine on a night ride London to Cambridge a couple of weeks ago paired with the Hope Vision 1 mark 2.

Hope Vision 1 pointing ahead on only its second brightness level, Lunar 60 pointing at the road in front of me.

Wonderful simple combination - shows you don't need to spend a bomb or resort to USB stuffery for all night road riding (well I did get lost 2 times and head across fields but both lights were still fine then).

Hail the Lunar, Vision 1 and the humble but ever improving rechargaeble AA.

Top Bottom