Smart Owl lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
:angry: Just got mine out ready for the darker nights...testing on the bench, battery fully charged (6 volts +).

I've put it onto the 10W lamp to see its run time....and it occasionally (quite frequently) switches itself over to the 2.4W lamp...or off altogether !!!
If i push the switch...nothing happens.
If i disconnect the battery, then reconnect, the light comes on, but quickly switches itself to 2.4W again

Anyone with similar experience ?

I am wondering if its a split second loss of power somewhere...

shimano

sounds like your battery is on its last legs, they don't last forever. Even if it says it's got 6v in it it's the current drain that counts, it would appear it's not got the grunt left for the 10W lamp.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Hmmm...i can buy that. Makes sense if you think about it.
Funnily enough, thats the reason i had it on test, to see how the battery has done. I always give it a couple of charges through the summer, just to top it up...lead acid batteries dont like total or long term discharges.

Now the quandry...for commuting, the 2.4w or LED is more than adequate, but if i go on my evening rides in the country (unlit country roads)...the 10w is invaluable.

Battery is maybe one and a half year old....

Thanks for that Shimano....:biggrin:

U

User482

My experience with Smart owl lights is that any attempt at repair is throwing good money after bad.

Top Bottom