Smart Phone Cycling – iPhone Heavy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The HERE bit of Nokia, which does Maps, Drive and Transit, is one of those bits of Nokia Microsoft didn't buy. Having said that, Windows phone 8.1 has Drive+ (the global version - some cheaper Nokias and non-Nokias only had one country), and the Map control in the API is partly written by HERE, so I think Drive is here to stay.
Interestingly, Samsung have done a deal with HERE to offer the mapping product on Galaxy devices - I've downloaded the Beta, but haven't had much chance to mess with it yet.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
If I go somewhere new I like to use an amazing device which I think everyone should know about.
It is called a map. They can be bought for a couple of pounds weigh next to nothing are reusable and never run out of battery life.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If I go somewhere new I like to use an amazing device which I think everyone should know about.
It is called a map. They can be bought for a couple of pounds weigh next to nothing are reusable and never run out of battery life.
I do like them, especially old ones! But I was beginning to amass a large collection then I would go somewhere and forget to take the map with me so either do without or buy a duplicate. It's a bit harder to leave the digital ones behind and cheaper for area's that you only go once. I would still buy the paper ones if I was going to go to an area lots of times.

U

User6179

Weirdo :smile:

KneesUp

Guru
I've recently started using GPS Logger II on a Blackberry Q5, if as seems increasingly unlikely anyone else is still using a Blackberry.

I think it's an Android port looking at the file locations is uses, but Android apps run natively on the latest Blackberry OS.

It seems pretty accurate (the lines follow the roads) and has lots of options for logging rides, exporting them and so on.

OP
OP
BRounsley

BRounsley

Über Member

We’re all using maps, yours just happens to be on paper.

I find the paper ones difficult to unfold and read at 20mph!

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I fold the paper map so it shows only the area i need and place it in the seethrough plastic pocket of the little bar bag I use.
Or if I'm not touring and on my race bike i fold it the same and tuck it in the rear pocket of my bike top. I have already mostly memorised the next couple of turn offs anyway but its easy just to pull it and make sure without stopping.
My main problem is my reading eyesight is failing and I find it hard to even see my speedo without glasses. So these days I have photo copy the map first and use highliter pens.

OP
OP
BRounsley

BRounsley

Über Member
iPhone6 Case Update

I recently upgraded my iPhone5 to an iPhone6, the phone is nice but I have my regrets because of the limited bike mounts on offer. It’s like going back 3 years. There’re loads of options for the 5/5S but not for the 6.

I was hoping Topeak would bring the “Weatherproof RideCase” case out for the iPhone 6 (like the 5/5S version). Disappointingly Topeak finally announced their iPhone6 cases and its back to the old poncho design of the RideCaseII (available sometime in February in the US). It’s not been worth the wait!

The Topeak RideCaseII is fine, but the case is a bit cheap feeling and the rain-cover poncho covers the charge port. The “iPhone5S Weatherproof RideCase“ cases look really good, has opening ports and like all of the Topeak cases use the excellent Stem Cap mount. I really wanted an iPhone6 version of the “Topeak Weatherproof Power” case as it looks like the perfect solution for me. This is the weatherproof case with a build in extra battery, but no details if an iPhone6 version will ever be released. I’m not holding my breath.

Previously I got around using the battery in the rain issue by cutting a hole in the poncho (never leaked yet!!).

So I’m now using the “Quad Lock”, it arrived yesterday and I took it for a spin last night. The phone case is a lot nicer in real life than in the pictures. It has a rubber feel to it, it’s not the hard plastic of the RideCase. The locking mount to the case, is secure, but you zip tie the mount to the stem. Unlike the Topeak stem cap mounts you screw in (you replace the stem cap). Getting the phone in and out the Case is fine and I have faith the phone will not pop out or fall off.

I did not get the “Quad Lock” poncho I bought the “Tigra Sport MountCase RainGuard” (£6 from Evans). It differs from the other ponchos as it has opening ports/flaps for power and headphones. This poncho fits the “Quad Lock” case snugly. I’ve not checked its rainproof-ness but I recon it will be on par with the others. I have an issue with the size of the power port hole/flap. An official Apple Lightening cable fit (but is very gappy) all my other cables don’t fit through the hole. This is a pain as I have 3rd party short Lightening cable which is the perfect length of my under stem battery but it doesn’t fit through the hole.

The “Quad Lock” is a decent workable solution but not the “Topeak Weatherproof RideCase“ I’ve been holding out for.

I’m still not happy with my setup so I’ve decided I’m also going to give the “Studio Proper” mount a go (it’s on order). The Phone case looks very “Quad Lock” like, maybe a little nice. The difference is the mount. It’s a nice looking stem cap mount that screws in/replaces the stem cap. The case is secured to the mount via the “most powerful magnets on earth”. Yes I plan to magnet my expensive new iPhone to my bike….what possibly could go wrong!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRounsley

BRounsley

Über Member
iPhone6 Case Update

I recently upgraded my iPhone5 to an iPhone6, the phone is nice but I have my regrets because of the limited bike mounts on offer. It’s like going back 3 years. There’re loads of options for the 5/5S but not for the 6.

I was hoping Topeak would bring the “Weatherproof RideCase” case out for the iPhone 6 (like the 5/5S version). Disappointingly Topeak finally announced their iPhone6 cases and its back to the old poncho design of the RideCaseII (available sometime in February in the US). It’s not been worth the wait!

The Topeak RideCaseII is fine, but the case is a bit cheap feeling and the rain-cover poncho covers the charge port. The “iPhone5S Weatherproof RideCase“ cases look really good, has opening ports and like all of the Topeak cases use the excellent Stem Cap mount. I really wanted an iPhone6 version of the “Topeak Weatherproof Power” case as it looks like the perfect solution for me. This is the weatherproof case with a build in extra battery, but no details if an iPhone6 version will ever be released. I’m not holding my breath.

Previously I got around using the battery in the rain issue by cutting a hole in the poncho (never leaked yet!!).

So I’m now using the “Quad Lock”, it arrived yesterday and I took it for a spin last night. The phone case is a lot nicer in real life than in the pictures. It has a rubber feel to it, it’s not the hard plastic of the RideCase. The locking mount to the case, is secure, but you zip tie the mount to the stem. Unlike the Topeak stem cap mounts you screw in (you replace the stem cap). Getting the phone in and out the Case is fine and I have faith the phone will not pop out or fall off.

I did not get the “Quad Lock” poncho I bought the “Tigra Sport MountCase RainGuard” (£6 from Evans). It differs from the other ponchos as it has opening ports/flaps for power and headphones. This poncho fits the “Quad Lock” case snugly. I’ve not checked its rainproof-ness but I recon it will be on par with the others. I have an issue with the size of the power port hole/flap. An official Apple Lightening cable fit (but is very gappy) all my other cables don’t fit through the hole. This is a pain as I have 3rd party short Lightening cable which is the perfect length of my under stem battery but it doesn’t fit through the hole.

The “Quad Lock” is a decent workable solution but not the “Topeak Weatherproof RideCase“ I’ve been holding out for.

I’m still not happy with my setup so I’ve decided I’m also going to give the “Studio Proper” mount a go (it’s on order). The Phone case looks very “Quad Lock” like, maybe a little nice. The difference is the mount. It’s a nice looking stem cap mount that screws in/replaces the stem cap. The case is secured to the mount via the “most powerful magnets on earth”. Yes I plan to magnet my expensive new iPhone to my bike….what possibly could go wrong!!!!!

iPhone6 Case Update - Update

Out of the blue Topeak have release a “Weatherproof RideCase iPhone 6” case. It’s available in the shops now. I got one from Evans today.

So far I’m very impressed

Pros –

It’s well made.

It’s a breeze getting the phone in and out.

It uses the excellent existing Topeak stem cap mount.

It has a power/lightning port flap to connect a battery up while on the bike.

It has a membrane over the mic and speaker ports

The “Touch ID” still works

Cons – Not many.

It’s got a bit of heft to it. You could say sturdy and you could say that’s a good thing.

The power/lightning port flap is narrow so my 3rd party extra short lightning cable won’t fit.

It’s not the power case with the built in battery, like available for the iPhone 5, I dream of!

http://www.topeak.com/products/PanoBikeAndRideCase/weatherproof_ridecase_ip6

Top Bottom