Smart phone screen repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it worth it ?
Dropped my moto e 4 plus when i got home yesterday , i know its a relativly cheap phone but its more than i need .
Seen one interweb quote of £90 ! for a new screen and then not much less than it cost me in the 1st place , i know you can get new screens for under £20 off flea bay but as im of the bash it not finesse it method of repair i havent the skills for fiddly repairs as you have to literally take the phone part from the back to replace it .
Anyone had any experience with repair and cost ?
Could pick up a second hand one maybe £50 on fleabay , what i need is something i can run on giffgaff, loads of battery as i CBA to charge every day and at least 2 gig ram with 16 + gig of memory

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In a word, no. As you say, a fleabay replacement is a far better option. DIY is not an option (I speak from bitter experience) and repair costs make doing it on anything other than a premium phone uneconomic.

ozboz

Guru
I had an iPhone screen fixed for £25, at a local phone fix it shop , not very good good value and the phone never worked properly again , I took it back and complained , no response other than it was in ok order when I picked it up , shonks , in the long term bad idea, well it was in my case anyway

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I would go to Timpson's. Our local one is quick, efficient and friendly. Around £40 and the work is guaranteed which you may not get from a local independent shop.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had an iPhone screen fixed for £25, at a local phone fix it shop , not very good good value and the phone never worked properly again , I took it back and complained , no response other than it was in ok order when I picked it up , shonks , in the long term bad idea, well it was in my case anyway

I'm not surprised at £25.00

Mike_P

Guru
Usually a YouTube video can be found showing how to undertake the repair, never done a phone, have done a tablet which works okay but cost me more than it should as I bought a new screen and display when it was just the display behind the screen that had cracked and then when I got it apart managed to break a connecting lead and typically managed to buy the wrong one. So if someone reputable can do it for a reasonable sum go with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Usually a YouTube video can be found showing how to undertake the repair, never done a phone, have gone a tablet which works okay but cost me more than it should as I bought a new screen and display when it was just the display behind the screen that had cracked and then when I got it apart managed to break a connecting lead and typically managed to buy the wrong one. So if someone reputable can do it for a reasonable sum go with them.
did the same . not worth ruining another electronic device it for the sake of saving £20

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I've done an iphone 5(?) myself and while it worked for a time, the problem was getting a reasonable quality replacement, after 3 months it started playing up. Recently decided to replace a screen on my son's Moto G6 and all was going well until I ruined the battery attempting to remove it* (no big deal as the phone screen was completely shattered). In the end I sent the screen back for a refund and just bought a new phone as it was only about 10 quid more expensive given the cost of a new screen and battery. I also replaced a screen on a Nokia Lumia 640 (easy!) with excellent results.

I've never had a screen replaced by a store, but I'm sure some do very good jobs. Unless you don't think you have the aptitude, doing it yourself with a youtube video is the way to go I'd think. Either that, or after finding out the replacement screen is close to the cost of your phone, just buy a new phone.

*sadly, youtube videos showed effortless removal of the battery but it wasn't what I found. The battery in my son's phone was really glued in place, and couldn't possibly be removed without bending it -I figured using a heat gun on a battery wasn't a good idea either. Point is, sometimes what you see in a video isn't always doable. Made me wonder if phones -even of the same model -are manufactured differently at different times at different facilities.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once replaced the battery of an iPod Nano. Never again, my eyes took an hour to revert to normal after all the squinting and my fingers were sore from opening the case.

Top Bottom