Smart Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbo_123

Regular
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a turbo trainer to help me gain some more stamina on the bike as well as being able to get some extra time in on the bike as it will fit around my crazy work schedule. I really new to cycling and I'm training for a London to Paris ride next July. I'm tempted to invest in a slightly better trainer and have been looking at all of the 'smart' options on the market. To be blunt I'm pretty confused by all the options. Ideally I don't want to spend a tonne of cash if I really don't have to. The whole idea of things like Zwift and Bkool really appeal and I think the 'novelty' of these things will help to keep the motivation up.

Thanks.

Novelty wears off very, very quickly. If you can't motivate yourself on whatever trainer you have now, the new one won't motivate you for much longer than a few days.

OP
OP
Robbo_123

Robbo_123

Regular
I don't have any form of trainer at the moment. I kind of knew deep down inside the novelty would wear of quickly. It's more to keep me occupied whilst sat on my bike staring at a wall at 1am haha

Actually, the novelty within a 'gamified' environment like Zwift really doesn't wear off too quickly if you're the type of person who responds to in-game achievements. The whole structure of many computer games, including Zwift to a certain extent, is built around the micro-reward system and its attendant neurological pleasure centre reward. It absolutely does make staring at the wall more tolerable, at a biochemical level. (Google 'computer gaming and dopamine' or 'gaming and neurotransmitters', or any similar search term). If you're going to get hooked on something, I'd take Zwift over League of Legends any day!

As for the trainer, I went down the direct drive route with an Elite Turbo Muin Smart B+. I prefer the quieter direct drive over my old mag' resistance roller turbo, plus it means not having a turbo-specific wheel/tyre knocking about, but you can dip your toe into the waters of gamified training with a simpler setup. While the weather is warm it's probably a good time to look for a second hand turbo, as everyone's out on the road. There's a list of compatible trainers here: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203152565-Which-trainers-does-Zwift-support-

All you'll then need is a suitable Ant+/Bluetooth dongle.

OP
OP
Robbo_123

Robbo_123

Regular
Actually, the novelty within a 'gamified' environment like Zwift really doesn't wear off too quickly if you're the type of person who responds to in-game achievements. The whole structure of many computer games, including Zwift to a certain extent, is built around the micro-reward system and its attendant neurological pleasure centre reward. It absolutely does make staring at the wall more tolerable, at a biochemical level. (Google 'computer gaming and dopamine' or 'gaming and neurotransmitters', or any similar search term). If you're going to get hooked on something, I'd take Zwift over League of Legends any day!

As for the trainer, I went down the direct drive route with an Elite Turbo Muin Smart B+. I prefer the quieter direct drive over my old mag' resistance roller turbo, plus it means not having a turbo-specific wheel/tyre knocking about, but you can dip your toe into the waters of gamified training with a simpler setup. While the weather is warm it's probably a good time to look for a second hand turbo, as everyone's out on the road. There's a list of compatible trainers here: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203152565-Which-trainers-does-Zwift-support-

Thanks for your input. I guess realisticly Im looking at about £250-£350 for a brand new smart trainer. Do you have any suggestions on finding a good second hand model? Is ebay worth a shout?

I'm a skeptic but I find your post interesting. I'm also always open to learn something new.
Does the computer gaming thing really translate to physical activity like IDTs as well? How do these trainers reward you?
I've never played computer games, so I have no frame of reference there. All I have is years and years behind me of buying fancy stuff with some expectation of reward and each and every time - nothing. From fancy expensive cars to fancy houses with dedicated training rooms and equipment. For me the return was always super short.
Is there really a gadget that can turn this around?

It's not really the gadget that hooks you in - the turbo and Ant+ dongle are the enablers. It's the nature of the gamified design of Zwift that hooks you in. Early 'achievements' are unlocked quickly, as are levels of progression. This, in turn unlocks further new content so if you put in enough hours' riding, your avatar can ride around on a virtual Cervelo or Parlee. As you progress, the levels get further apart, as do the unlockables and achievements, but that's completely in common with other 'levelling up' games, from World of Warcraft to Call of Duty. The psychology and neuroscience behind the micro-reward design of computer games are all out there and well researched.

I have to say, (at 50 and having too many years' experience playing computer and video games from the Acorn Atom onwards) that the Zwift system is brilliantly designed. It won't work for everyone, but for those who 'get' the reward of completing a HIIT workout with a 'Perfect' score against every step, it is very rewarding and thus can be addictive. Plus you can virtually bump into Steveo Cummings, Matt Hayman, Alexis Ryan and Alex Dowsett (and this lot: https://zwiftblog.com/pros/ ) from the discomfort of your own home.

You must add into that the social aspect: there are group rides at all hours of day and night if you wish to join them (or not if you don't). They're run through Facebook groups but often begin as a virtual group and turn into a real-world group. Plus, of course, there are many real-world groups who make the transition the other way. That adds a form of social contract to the equation. If you 'always ride with the PAC SUB2' group, you're going to be more likely to make the same appointment to ride every Tuesday at 9.00pm or whatever.

Or, put another way, it's an excellent virtual crutch for folks like me with no willpower!

It's not really the gadget that hooks you in - the turbo and Ant+ dongle are the enablers. It's the nature of the gamified design of Zwift that hooks you in. Early 'achievements' are unlocked quickly, as are levels of progression. This, in turn unlocks further new content so if you put in enough hours' riding, your avatar can ride around on a virtual Cervelo or Parlee. As you progress, the levels get further apart, as do the unlockables and achievements, but that's completely in common with other 'levelling up' games, from World of Warcraft to Call of Duty. The psychology and neuroscience behind the micro-reward design of computer games are all out there and well researched.

I have to say, (at 50 and having too many years' experience playing computer and video games from the Acorn Atom onwards) that the Zwift system is brilliantly designed. It won't work for everyone, but for those who 'get' the reward of completing a HIIT workout with a 'Perfect' score against every step, it is very rewarding and thus can be addictive. Plus you can virtually bump into Steveo Cummings, Matt Hayman, Alexis Ryan and Alex Dowsett (and this lot: https://zwiftblog.com/pros/ ) from the discomfort of your own home.

You must add into that the social aspect: there are group rides at all hours of day and night if you wish to join them (or not if you don't). They're run through Facebook groups but often begin as a virtual group and turn into a real-world group. Plus, of course, there are many real-world groups who make the transition the other way. That adds a form of social contract to the equation. If you 'always ride with the PAC SUB2' group, you're going to be more likely to make the same appointment to ride every Tuesday at 9.00pm or whatever.

Or, put another way, it's an excellent virtual crutch for folks like me with no willpower!
Thanks for explaining.

Okeydokey

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a Wahoo cadence sensor, a HRM and an old trainer. I also have a dongle for my laptop. (that's not a something I would have ever expected to write). Do I need a speed sensor as well to play these games?

Top Bottom