SMGT - converting to disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girovago

I have a 1999 Street Machine GT with V-brakes. I don't see any fittings that will accept disc brakes so is there an add-on for the rear triangle that will allow this? I know that I could upgrade the forks to something disc-ready.

thanks

byegad

Legendary Member
Somebody will no doubt be along to answer from their experience. Have you contacted the manufacturers? I had an AZUB -4 (Fairly similar kind of layout.) with V brakes and felt braking was always a bit marginal from high speed, which I only ever managed downhill, but pulling up from 50+mph/80kph* was 'interesting'. I did think about adding a front disc, but frankly the rear V-brake was probably 'good enough'.

I sold it when I was advised to only ride 3 wheels.

* It had 81 gears ranging from 15" to 150", yes 1 5 0 :eek: !

Alun

Guru
Just upgrade the forks and have a disc front and V brake rear. The rear brake contributes little to the overall stopping power. You probably could have the frame modified if it's steel, but whether it's worth it, only you can say!

OP
OP
G

girovago

Somebody will no doubt be along to answer from their experience. Have you contacted the manufacturers? quote]

What, before seeking the collective wisdom of CC members? Pah!

I will give them a try after I've had some replies here...

OP
OP
G

girovago

Just upgrade the forks and have a disc front and V brake rear. The rear brake contributes little to the overall stopping power. You probably could have the frame modified if it's steel, but whether it's worth it, only you can say!

I like the symmetry of discs front and rear though, what can I say?

My old Trek Fuel 80 had no rear disc mounts but my LBS sold me a nifty wee adaptor for £10. I'm kind of hoping that the same thing exists for the SMGT.

byegad

Legendary Member

That's what I tried and failed to say! :banghead:

CamPhil

Somebody will no doubt be along to answer from their experience. Have you contacted the manufacturers? I had an AZUB -4 (Fairly similar kind of layout.) with V brakes and felt braking was always a bit marginal from high speed, which I only ever managed downhill, but pulling up from 50+mph/80kph* was 'interesting'. I did think about adding a front disc, but frankly the rear V-brake was probably 'good enough'.

I sold it when I was advised to only ride 3 wheels.

* It had 81 gears ranging from 15" to 150", yes 1 5 0 :eek: !

What made you stick to such close ratios?
You must be very strict about maintaining an even cadence ^_^

byegad

Legendary Member
Nah!

I wanted to climb anything I'd likely meet in the Durham Dales and also really use the down hills for silly speed. Turning the pedals as you pass 50mph and thinking, 'I could spin faster' was a blast. The downside was the V-Brakes. The one on the front wheel, 20" remember, was capable of melting the brake block in a hard stop from that kind of speed, not good as it also got the rims so hot the front tyre was suddenly a lot harder than the 90psi I usually ran. A front disc would have been sensible and I'd have gone for a new fork and a BB7, if I'd kept it. The rear brake was capable of locking the rear 26" wheel under hard braking anyway so really didn't need upgrading.

Uphill spinning fairly briskly at 3.5mph was 'interesting as I was at the limit of my ability to stay upright, any slower and I'd have fallen over! Down the right hill 50mph was easily achievable and high forties was regularly on the computer after a ride.

I'm glad I did the 81 speed thing. With 1000% gear range you really do have a gear for all situations and it was easy to be in the right gear all of the time, although sometimes confusingly that 'right' gear inch was available in several different combinations of the three changers. Best was my method for Give Way junctions I would drop the dérailleurs front and back to a low ratio and use the SRAM hub in high to keep the speed even on the approach to a junction. If I had to stop I stopped and then dropped the hub from high to low, which gave me a gear to pull away in. Very useful when your balance is less than perfect as it was all of the time I had the AZUB.

I'd put one on one of my trikes if I ever needed the range of gears.

Went down this route some years ago...

The rear requires a new rear triangle and new hub in the wheel so became expensive for what I was going to gain, so fitted a Maugura hydraulic rim brake instead.

The front has the MEKS fork that has fittings for a disc, so bought a new wheel with disc hub and fitted a MAgura Louise.

Excellent combination that has worked well the only thing I found was a real hassle was sortingthe cable length with all the bleeding etc.

With my present experience I would probably go for an Avid BB7 on the front if I repeated the process

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'll echo Cunobelin's recommendation for a BB7. I've got one on the front of my SMGTe, and its done 10,000 trouble free miles. Third set of pads now though, tbh. :smile:

The back is still on its second set, and only really gets used as a drag brake. I know you've said symmetry matters, but that'll come at a cost. You'll know if its worth it. I think performance gains will be negligible.

Andy.

OP
OP
G

girovago

Thanks for all the advice.

My local recumbent shop also advises leaving the rear alone and going for a front disc when I can afford to upgrade the forks.
Can any of you recommend a decent disc-ready fork? I'm not looking for anything exotic, just something that will do the job.

thanks.

Top Bottom