SMIDSY - Would you have said anything?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twozeronine

No video I'm afraid. :smile:

Riding in to work this morning, I was approaching a side road on my right. A car had just pulled out in front (it caused me to brake a little, but was ok), then another car behind it started pulling out. At this point I was passing the side road, so she was driving right into me and pressing me into the curb. I shouted at her, but she failed to stop completely and hit my back wheel. Luckily I managed to stay on and just about managed to unclip my foot in time, otherwise I'd have probably fallen flat on my face. I shouted at her again, and she waved her hand to apologise and drove off.

Inevitably I caught up to her a bit further on while she was queuing at a roundabout. I was filtering down the outside of the lane, so she probably saw me coming and was preparing to be shouted at, but I usually shy away from confrontation so I let her off. :angry: The adrenaline was pumping, so I wanted to say something, but wasn't sure it would make a difference.

Judging by some of the YouTube clips here, she would have gotten a good telling off by some people. :ohmy:

Ah the Sheep sydrome, it was ok for the car in front it must be ok for me.
If she'd already apologised, I'd see no point in further confrontation.

OP
OP
T

twozeronine

HLaB said:
Ah the Sheep sydrome, it was ok for the car in front it must be ok for me.
If she'd already apologised, I'd see no point in further confrontation.

I suppose so. I didn't want to risk saying something I'd regret, since the adrenaline was pumping, but maybe a passing comment like "be more careful" would suffice. :ohmy:

I guess people riding in London get more practice at this sort of thing. :angry:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
she would have gotten a good telling off by some people

Some cyclists would have broken off her wing mirror and then tried to pedal away whilst the driver and her friends chased, caught up and given him a good bruising.

I agree there was an error in the judgement of this driver and that things could have been worse for you, but she recognised this, held her hand up and apologised.

I would consider that the end of the matter. Catching up at the lights, having a go at her again, especially if you're a bloke which it sounds like you are, is surplus to requirements.

OP
OP
T

twozeronine

HLaB said:
Did she actually hit you? I can understand you reacting in that case. If it was a close one however but with an instant apology I think you done the right thing barefoot.

Not me physically, just my back wheel, causing my bike to slip from underneath me.

OP
OP
T

twozeronine

trustysteed said:
I would have asked her if she realised that she did actually touch you. Maybe she just thought it was a near miss.

Yeah, I think I should have said something like this. I'm not really the type to have a go at someone, especially after they've apologised, but I think I should have made her aware that she neally knocked me off.

Oh well, what's done is done, and hopefully she'll be more careful in future.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If she'd not made contact I would have accepted her apology. Having made contact, I would politely have asked for her details and informed her I was having my bike checked out for damage by a LBS. I'd then leave it a couple of days then phone her to say no further action would be taken.

I'm sorry but an apology just doesn't wash when there is actual contact.:angel:

OP
OP
T

twozeronine

Yeah, I should have done, really. I don't often have many encounters with motorists though, so it didn't even enter my mind. I've checked my bike over and there doesn't seem to be any damage, so got away with it this time. :angel:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would have done the same as Lee, just incase the bike was damaged and I only discovered it later. Wouldn't be the first time - I've seen a couple of peeps with damage they only later found out about.

Top Bottom