Smoke alarms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
Everyone checks that their alarms are working don't they? I thought we did but when I checked today only 2 of the 7 smoke alarms we have in the house actually bleeped when the button was pressed.

It also set me thinking about the CO sensors we have. Apparently only about 45% of all sensors actually work even though the sounder does beep when the test button is pressed. CO sensors have a life of about 5 years so it's easy to believe it is working when the actual sensor itself doesn't actually work.

So, lots of batteries to be bought today and I've ordered a CO sensor kit (detectagas) too.

Anyone else not tested their sensors?

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, I check mine. Because I'm a sad anal coward.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I tend to buy the dual Fire/CO ones that have led lights that flash every minute to tell you they are still working

And like Drago I do check them

Mine is good at testing me, as it did the other day for absolutely no reason. I went back upstairs after putting the washing machine on and the one outside the kitchen went off. I almost crapped myself and was scared to go back downstairs, luckily all for nothing. Don`t know what happened there I`m sure.............

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
My cooking tests them
That tests one of the sensors in our house. For the others I thought I just waited for them to beep on their own to warn that the battery is running low. Obviously I've been neglecting that. The bit that surprised me is the number of alarms around where the test button bit works, but the alarm itself is unable to detect smoke (or CO).
Batteries will be bought this afternoon and the units tested with real smoke.

That tests one of the sensors in our house. For the others I thought I just waited for them to beep on their own to warn that the battery is running low. Obviously I've been neglecting that. The bit that surprised me is the number of alarms around where the test button bit works, but the alarm itself is unable to detect smoke (or CO).
Batteries will be bought this afternoon and the units tested with real smoke.
I tried to do that by burning some paper on a baking tray and holding it underneath, the bloody thing went off, made me jump, and I nearly dropped the tray causing a real fire!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought I would rely on my inbuilt CO detector... It worked, in as much as the CO leaking from a damaged chimney breast rendered me unconscious for several hours which certainly made me realise that something was wrong, but I wouldn't recommend that approach! :whistle:

I now have detectors in both rooms which have gas appliances in, and a couple of smoke detectors too.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll check the alarms later.

OP
OP
A

aferris2

Guru
I tried to do that by burning some paper on a baking tray and holding it underneath, the bloody thing went off, made me jump, and I nearly dropped the tray causing a real fire!
I was thinking a lit match would work. Anyone know if it does?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Being the wotks Responsible person, Fire Officer i check mine, and batteries when they beep.

I also use a green light C.O sensor so it should be ok, life is supposed to be 10 yr, through away type.

Smoke detectors are brilliant, pitty people think they dont need one.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I thought all smoke detectors worked off mains now with presumably a back up for power failures. At least that is what I was told after getting some work done. Mebbe England is different.

Top Bottom