Smoking - or not!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
It's a weird one, because I literally have no desire to smoke. The cravings are well under control and the smell is starting to knock me sick (I know, I know, how did I never smell that before?!)

I think there's a difference between "wanting to give up" and "being ready to give up". I smoked for over 30 years and always "wanted" to give up, because you know it's doing you harm etc, but the truth is that I enjoyed smoking. Sure, I knew I was addicted, but it was still something I enjoyed doing.

Then last year my mindset changed to being "ready" to give up. I didn't plan it or think about it too much, I just thought to myself one day "I don't want to do this any more" and I just stopped there and then. Sounds like something similar may have happened to you?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I know of quite a few folk who didn't stop altogether but cut back drastically from say 30 a day to around 2 or 3 a day. They still class themselves as smokers but from what they say their health and finances have improved a lot.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think there's a difference between "wanting to give up" and "being ready to give up". I smoked for over 30 years and always "wanted" to give up, because you know it's doing you harm etc, but the truth is that I enjoyed smoking. Sure, I knew I was addicted, but it was still something I enjoyed doing.

Then last year my mindset changed to being "ready" to give up. I didn't plan it or think about it too much, I just thought to myself one day "I don't want to do this any more" and I just stopped there and then. Sounds like something similar may have happened to you?
That's exactly what happened to me. I saw somebody who was quite old at a family gathering and thought "I'm never going to see you again". Getting in the car as I left, and with some thoughts of Mortality, I reached for a smoke and realised that I was really pushing my luck. That was it.

Comes a time.

Edit: It's strange to tell, but it really didn't require any will-power at all.

Last edited:

Gatters

I stopped last year

My story too, well done slioch

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Thanks for all the kind words CC!

Feeling a little bit better today. Still not myself, by any stretch, but a little better. Had a lovely blast in this morning and I can't wait to put the money saved towards some road tyres! The drag on these Rocket Rons is terrible on tarmac.

So, Gatorskins or M+?!

(distraction is key?)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
W
Thanks for all the kind words CC!

Feeling a little bit better today. Still not myself, by any stretch, but a little better. Had a lovely blast in this morning and I can't wait to put the money saved towards some road tyres! The drag on these Rocket Rons is terrible on tarmac.

So, Gatorskins or M+?!

(distraction is key?)
Well-done.

It sounds from this thread that the moods are all part of the deal...don't let it worry you but do check in and let us know how you are getting on from time to time.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've been a miserable ffecker since quitting smoking nearly 10 years ago and more prone to depression. Keep an eye on it.

Top Bottom