Smoothies and flax seed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I started having smoothies, well slim fast last year to help lose weight. I started to add a banana and more recently all kinds of fruit, I'm going to reduce the amount of powder once I've finished this batch of separate sachets and can use half as much from a tub.

I use them twice a day when at home, I often have low fat yoghurt, lots of fruit and some honey for breakfast when working away, and have a light bite for lunch, try to keep to salads or similar.

I try to have and normally do a nutritious evening meal, fish, pasta, home made stews etc. Try to make most things fresh if possible.

I snack on yoghurts and go ahead bars.

I lost quite a lot in the first few months and have probably lost a pound a month since, about 20-25 lbs in total. I want to lose another 14lbs overall but in no rush, as long as I eat nutritious food and head the right way I'm happy.

So, to help I've recently learned about flax seed, just started adding it to my smoothies.

Anyone else use flax seed, any good stori s of experiences of it? Anyone else have regular smoothies or advice on their long term benefits, etc.

I used to eat mumbo jumbo, and then decided just to eat less and exercise more

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'd have thought that if you're using a meal replacement shake then it's important to use it properly. Making it half strength might put you at risk of malnutrition.

Fruit has loads of sugar in it. Flax seeds probably won't do you any harm.

I am not a dietician.

Just bear in mind that lot of low fat stuff is very high in sugar and salt to compensate for the lack of flavour due to the low fat content. Quite often they have a similar calorific value to the full fat version and are also more expensive.

The human digestive system cannot process whole flax seed - they just go straight through as the husks are too tough. If you must have them, buy the milled stuff. But it's pricey and not really worth the money. You're better off with a bowl of porridge.

I'm not a dietician either.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I used to eat mumbo jumbo, and then decided just to eat less and exercise more
I used to advise eat less exercise more but think there are some issues with this over simplication

Eat less - less food or calories? If calories then you could eat more food, as long as it's the right thing. I saw a post on here a while ago referring to calorie density, makes sense to me.
Also, when trying to exercise more you need more nutrition, hard to reduce food when exercising. IME it's difficult to exercise weight off

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I'd have thought that if you're using a meal replacement shake then it's important to use it properly. Making it half strength might put you at risk of malnutrition.

Fruit has loads of sugar in it. Flax seeds probably won't do you any harm.

I am not a dietician.

Good point, hadn't thought of that, then again they are designed to be taken with just milk, I add so much with fruit and flax seed I've probably already added a lot of whatnthe powder will bring

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Just bear in mind that lot of low fat stuff is very high in sugar and salt to compensate for the lack of flavour due to the low fat content. Quite often they have a similar calorific value to the full fat version and are also more expensive.

The human digestive system cannot process whole flax seed - they just go straight through as the husks are too tough. If you must have them, buy the milled stuff. But it's pricey and not really worth the money. You're better off with a bowl of porridge.

I'm not a dietician either.

True, I check the yoghurts and the calories are less in the ones I eat, usually muller light or fat free natural. The go ahead bars are probably not much better than biscuits, but at least there are only 3 in a pack, rather than open the biscuits and have half a pack before I realise lol! I also like the rice cakes, they are pretty good

I have bought the ground flax seeds, taste nice in a smoothie

Globalti

Legendary Member
Would primitive Man have scavenged and eaten flax seeds?

Probably not. Porage looks like the best advice.

vickster

Legendary Member
True, I check the yoghurts and the calories are less in the ones I eat, usually muller light or fat free natural. The go ahead bars are probably not much better than biscuits, but at least there are only 3 in a pack, rather than open the biscuits and have half a pack before I realise lol! I also like the rice cakes, they are pretty good

I have bought the ground flax seeds, taste nice in a smoothie
I think Muller light are choc full of sugar (plus artificial sweeteners), smoothies are also high in calories due to the sugar (fructose)

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I think Muller light are choc full of sugar (plus artificial sweeteners), smoothies are also high in calories due to the sugar (fructose)
I believe muller light have lots of sugars but not high calorie, it's sin free with weight watchers. That said I do prefer natural yogurt with a banana and touch of honey, so don't have many

Yes smoothies are high in calories but also nutrition, according to calorie density they carry few calories per size, so should be good for filling me up, which they seem to do and I stay full

Trevrev

Veteran
My breakfast smoothie consists of, 1 banana , Heap tablespoon crushed flax seed, 2 heap tablespoons of Wheat grass powder. Tablespoon crushed almonds, Tablespoon of honey, Tablespoon of natural peanut butter. Milk and One measure of Whey protein.
That sees me through to lunch......And I bloody love it.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
My breakfast smoothie consists of, 1 banana , Heap tablespoon crushed flax seed, 2 heap tablespoons of Wheat grass powder. Tablespoon crushed almonds, Tablespoon of honey, Tablespoon of natural peanut butter. Milk and One measure of Whey protein.
That sees me through to lunch......And I bloody love it.
That sounds great, may try that, do you crush the almonds or can you buy them crushed? Not a fan of peanut butter, may pass on that one

BikeCurious

Über Member
Would primitive Man have scavenged and eaten flax seeds?

Probably not. Porage looks like the best advice.
Would primitive man have scavenged some oats, hunted down a cow, milked it then combined the milk and oats over heat before eating it? No, thought not. Why does what primitive man would haven eaten even matter?

Top Bottom