SMUG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Arch said:
I fear I embarrassed a fellow cyclist this morning. He was riding behind his son (or maybe even grandson) who was making rather heavy weather of it. I passed them both, spinning easily (or at least trying to give that impression;)) and heard the chap say "Can't you pedal any faster!?" to the boy...

I couldn't help it, I was just going faster than them....
:wahhey:

I give a nod, a smile, a wave and a thumbs-up at most opportunities, but sometimes I do this - :wahhey: (well almost; the wa*ker wave) as no-one here knows what it means!

Crankarm

Guru
magnatom said:
Sycling Makes Us Grin! :blush:

I was having my shower this morning when I got to thinking how some of those who grump about cyclists often use the 'I hate cyclists because they are smug' line.

Yes we are and for good reason! :smile: However, it also got me thinking about the fact that most of the memorable (for the motorist) cyclist/driver interactions are negative, i.e. cyclists shouting at drivers for poor driving, drivers shouting at cyclists for poor cycling etc.

So why don't we turn SMUG into something positive. Why don't we make sure that at least once on every journey we give a driver/passenger a smile or a wave or some other positive interaction. Something that will cheer them up and will show them how much we enjoy our cycle commuting. It might even make a few consider joining us.

Post your SMUG interactions here. :biggrin:

Today my SMUG moment was when I was stopped at lights and a car pulled up with some dance music coming from it. I just had to start dancing to the beat a little. Made the chap in the car smile! :biggrin:

(You can't see me dance in the video....sorry! :smile:)

What's prompted this post Magna? Have you finally been wolf whistled by a few pretty Scots lasses :smile:? (.....It was lasses wasn't it :ohmy:?)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Arch said:
I fear I embarrassed a fellow cyclist this morning. He was riding behind his son (or maybe even grandson) who was making rather heavy weather of it. I passed them both, spinning easily (or at least trying to give that impression;)) and heard the chap say "Can't you pedal any faster!?" to the boy...

I couldn't help it, I was just going faster than them....

Oi.....all guards are off when with the little ones, no matter how competitive you are......... I have learnt.....

SMUG - yeh don't care - happy my kids are riding.... I got done over so many times doing Manchester Sky ride on Frank...oh ..... stuff it..had a blast......

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
magnatom said:
Today my SMUG moment was when I was stopped at lights and a car pulled up with some dance music coming from it. I just had to start dancing to the beat a little. Made the chap in the car smile! :smile:

(You can't see me dance in the video....sorry! :o)

Oh man, it just gets worse, you'll be one of these dads who tries to dance to his kids music, like the character Hugh Dennis used to do. Certainly get you all the 'space' you need on your bike though.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I reckon I live in cycling paradise in London. I love every day's riding, and I have hundreds of positive verbal interactions with other road users each week.

cygnet

magnatom said:
I was stopped at lights and a car pulled up with some dance music coming from it. I just had to start dancing to the beat a little.

You are Tyres and ICMFP!

(I couldn't find the traffic light one)

GrasB

Veteran
I always try & put my hand up if someone's let me through or waited at a junction instead of going when it's touch & go (though balance before thanks every time & motorists often don't see a nod), even if it is my right of way. It takes a while but when you're seeing the same motorists you'll find that a number give you more space & are more courteous towards you.

purplepolly

GrasB said:
I always try & put my hand up if someone's let me through or waited at a junction instead of going when it's touch & go (though balance before thanks every time & motorists often don't see a nod), even if it is my right of way.

me too

I also like to join in when a neighbouring driver is revving the engine while waiting at the lights. Vroooom vroom vroom.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's super important to communicate with drivers and give positive encouragement. I must do hundreds of thank yous a week for all sorts of reasons.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'll have you know I have been a bit of a dancer in my day. One of my best nights out ever was with my then, future wife, at the BCM in Magaluf Majorca with Judge Jules on the decks. :smile:

I must admit I have wondered what old folks homes will be like when I am in my twilight years. Move over Gillbert and Sullivan, we want the best of Euphoric Trance...:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
fossyant said:
Oi.....all guards are off when with the little ones, no matter how competitive you are......... I have learnt.....

SMUG - yeh don't care - happy my kids are riding.... I got done over so many times doing Manchester Sky ride on Frank...oh ..... stuff it..had a blast......

I should say, the boy in question looked about 12, so not so little. I think he was slightly handicapped by his bike, to be honest.

thomas

the tank engine
Last night I got a "come on my son"...gave a few friendly toots from the airzound.

Were red lights so stopped peddling and cruised up, the passenger who yelled gave a nod of respect and I smiled and laughed. They were turning off into Sainsburys

About 5 minutes later they had obviously finished shopping and spotted me again so gave a few friends toots back :wacko::biggrin:

Even got a little video of it :biggrin:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVcEEBbmh4I

Top Bottom