Snack inflation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Scrolling through Instagram, as one does. Quite peckish, having yet to have lunch.
Ooh, I could order a sandwich delivery
View attachment 574367
These are sandwiches!
When those threads come up - you know - I’m going to drop five grand on a new bike, what do people think etc - I do just think “ your money”. But £25 for a snack. Really?
Feel free to tell me its market forces etc, but isnt this just a little too much now?

Edit: anyone eaten one of these doorstops? Was it tasty?

Given the ingredients of the ‘millionaire’ I would expect it presented by Dick van Dyke dressed as a choice money sweep.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm not sure why people are surprised tbh.. Suppose you earn £100k PA...and by today's standards, there are plenty that do, £2k a week....gotta spend your money on something. £100k PA is probably pretty mediocre for many.
In the company I work for, there are 5 directors, that doesnt include what must be a multi millionaire owner...each of those directors must be earning £200k PA...that's just one smallish company.
One comany in a mediocre town...imagine what's it's like in that there Lahhndon

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Bit obscene in a first world country that has starving people living on the streets using waste bins looking for leftovers.
Is it not just a way to redistribute their wealth? I would say it is better for us plebs that rich people spend their money in silly ways than not spend it at all.

bruce1530

Guru
I was told of a fairly ordinary coffee shop that sold $50 takeaway coffees.
It was “in the city”, beside one of the richest offices - that country’s equivalent of Canary Wharf.

They also sold $5 coffees, which were pretty much identical.

The only difference being that the $50 coffees were sold from an exclusive counter, where they guaranteed no queues. The staff would always serve the $50 customers first.

They didn’t sell many, but a few a day was enough to make it worthwhile.

(Might have been Australian dollars)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is it not just a way to redistribute their wealth? I would say it is better for us plebs that rich people spend their money in silly ways than not spend it at all.
Quite so. Rich people have to eat, just like the rest of us. They'd be pretty daft to choose a Ginsters Egg and Mayo rather than one of the more expensive offerings above. Would you rather they spent their snack money in the Cayman Islands?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The other side of the snack inflation coin is size deflation, especially in Quality Street which have dropped from a standard metal tin containing 2.5 kg in the 70s to a nasty plastic tub that holds just 650g today (and this "includes wraps").

If you can find one, there are still some metal tins around. These hold 1kg, although that reduces to 800s with Christmas branding!

Also: blue QS are disgusting.

classic33

Leg End Member
The other side of the snack inflation coin is size deflation, especially in Quality Street which have dropped from a standard metal tin containing 2.5 kg in the 70s to a nasty plastic tub that holds just 650g today (and this "includes wraps").

If you can find one, there are still some metal tins around. These hold 1kg, although that reduces to 800s with Christmas branding!

They used to adjust the weighing to account for the wrappings, akin to a bakers dozen.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream

FYI Costco were selling 2kg tins in the run up to Christmas.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
FYI Costco were selling 2kg tins in the run-up to Christmas.
These? Wow!
1613654392578.png

Looks pretty big, so the old 2.5 kg tins must have been mahoosive.

What happened to the Soldier and Lady designs? And where's the bit of paper that describes the sweets? A picture saying "The Purple One" doesn't tell me much!

Top Bottom