Snap, and over I go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trumpettom001

Has anyone else had a chain snap whilst on the trails - darned annoying as it was pouring with rain... not a fun 5 miles i tell you.... is there anything that can be done to prevent this, other than carrying a chain tool??? I keep it well oiled, not a single spot of rust or anything and don't particularly abuse it..... buy a better chain?

Mr Pig

Carry a chain tool and a quick link, then you can sort it quickly.

Of course if you keep checking your chain and fit new ones regularly and they're very unlikely to break in the first place ;0)

maurice

You can snap expensive new ones if you put too much torque through them, done this myself once mashing the pedals out of the saddle instead of changing down and ended up smashing my knee on the bars when a link tore.

Keep it lubed and pedal smoothly is my thinking here.

02GF74

Über Member
maurice said:
You can snap expensive new ones if you put too much torque through them, done this myself once mashing the pedals out of the saddle instead of changing down and ended up smashing my knee on the bars when a link tore.

I find it very hard to believe that any human can break a chain using regular gears.

Surely the strongest guys - TDF riders - would be snapping them all the time?

Or do they have super string chsains made for them?

I can only presume the chain was faulty or more likely the fitting of the last linkg was not prefect.

Did you examine the chain to find where and how it failed?

maurice

Of course, one of the normal links tore into two, i.e. ripped across the middle. I was putting a stupid amount of torque through it over a very short time and was asking for it.

If TdF riders going up 25%+ inclines at about 10rpm did the same I'd expect them to snap it too.

Mr Pig

02GF74 said:
I find it very hard to believe that any human can break a chain using regular gears.

I don't know, I think you could. Not me personally but I can see how it could be done. Really stamping on the pedal at just the wrong time in the wrong gear.

gordimhor

did almost exactly the same thing but bent the middle chain ring into the bargain. Stood on the pedals to get up a very short very steep rise:angry:

Jonathan M

02GF74 said:

Surely the strongest guys - TDF riders - would be snapping them all the time?

Or do they have super string chsains made for them?

I can only presume the chain was faulty or more likely the fitting of the last linkg was not prefect.

Did you examine the chain to find where and how it failed?

Have you never had a chain break?

I've broken a chain 4 or 5 times in 15 years of cycling, and others on here will have broken more. Two of those were on Shimano chains, so I'd ask the OP if he knows what make of chain he broke?? I'd always prefer to use something other than Shimano when possible, and whenever a Shimano chain has broken I've always replaced it ASAP.

One other break occured on a Sachs/Sedis chain, but the weak point was one of the chain joining devices, that had been through about 3 previous chains, so simply the side plate wore out.

But the chain joining links can be handy to carry for a repair, although a chain tool might still be needed to remove any damaged links that have occured.

I had a chain snap on me in the middle of no-where. So I started the long walk. After about fifteen minutes i was passed by two very dodgy looking guys on bikes (the type you wouldnt want to meet on a dark night).
Anyway they passed me and after about 50 yards turned back towards me (here we go i thought), they came back and where only in possession of a chain splitter and I managed to repair and get home. Immediately went out and bought my own tool.

Just goes to show how appearances can be deceptive!

GilesM

Legendary Member
I've snapped two Shimano chains, but I think it was more to do with the chain, than the power I can put through the pedals, I only weigh 11st. I now use the SRAM chains with quick link and have had no problems for over a year now. If your riding off road there is always a chance of a chain breaking, so I always carry a spare quick link and chain splitter.

Just a thought, when did chain splitters stop being called rivet extractors and start being called chain splitters?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
The breaking strain of a ten speed chain is around 1500 lbs. I find it difficult to comprehend that any rider could snap a well maintained one. If the joining pin has been installed incorrectly or there is a fault with the riveting, then clearly weak points can arise, but a good chain well maintained..........?

I've snapped one but it snapped where I joined it, so most likely me not re-joining it right. I use KMC links now.

Top Bottom