Snap, and over I go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
The breaking strain of a ten speed chain is around 1500 lbs. I find it difficult to comprehend that any rider could snap a well maintained one. If the joining pin has been installed incorrectly or there is a fault with the riveting, then clearly weak points can arise, but a good chain well maintained..........?

I agree, both chains I am sure both chains I snapped were at a link that had once been used to break and join the chain, hence the reason for not using Shimano ones any more as I like the quick links, when I clean the chain.

simon_brooke

02GF74 said:
I find it very hard to believe that any human can break a chain using regular gears.

Surely the strongest guys - TDF riders - would be snapping them all the time?

Or do they have super string chsains made for them?

Saxo Bank switched to using Shimano chains this year, despite being sponsored by SRAM, after Cancellara was hurt after breaking a SRAM chain in one of the spring classics. But no, they're just on the same chains you can buy in the shops. And let's face it, Cancellara is one of the strongest men in the pro peloton. I certainly don't fear a chain breaking.

dodgy

Chains also break because of variances in quality for some production runs. There was a recent spate of KMC broken chains on the Bike Radar forums, they all broke in the same way (sheared side plates). It now seems to have stopped happening.
I doubt any one manufacturer of chain is more susceptible to breaking than any other, to change brands because of one break seems a bit over the top to me.
I've had one chain break in 25 years, that was offroad and up a very steep mud/grass bank in the Mendips. It's not happened yet onroad (knocks on wood).

02GF74

Über Member
Jonathan M said:
Have you never had a chain break?

no. the closest was losing a pin on a brand new chain under normal cycling. note the word new - so most likely due to bad fitting. it is not like you turn the chain over examining each link, both sides, on a new bike - it had done a few miles before hand so was proven to be working.

on another occasion I had chain making noises when pedalling that was found due to side plate coming away from pin - a metal gate and large stone fixed that (was in middle of lake district with no chain tool). think that was the pin I fitted.

... but snapping chain in 2, not yet.

talking of snapping chains, take a peek at this. friend jumps onto bike after being transport in car so presumably chain jumped off then applies maximum force to try to get it going and here is the result. ;)

phil120867

Über Member
I have snapped side plates on a fixie but I think the chain amy have been over tightened. I now use a toughened Pearl Izumi track chain that hasn't had any isses. I did bend the top ring of my cassette last night off road, when changing up on a prticularly steep section of Box hill. I would have expected the chain (Shimano) to have snaped before it bent the cassette. Evans want to see the cassette to see if its a warranty issue (otherwise its £56!)

Top Bottom