Snap! Guess my rear axle is gone...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I was quoted £37 parts and labour to replace the axle or £55 for a new wheel. I never liked the rims on that bike, so I went for the new wheel.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I bought a £6 Weldtite axle. The cones looked OK. As @adamhearn said, the skewer held it all together and I didn't know it had snapped until I took the wheel off.
axle1.JPG

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I've broken 2 over the years. Provided yo didn't ride round like it for ages then the frame should be fine. New axle and bearings and you're all good.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
If I had realised that freehubs were an option for a 7-speed cassette, I would have asked for that. I didn't think that was an option, so I let them just replace the wheel. If I break this axle, I will definitely be switching to a freehub.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Bike picked up with new wheel. A ZAC 2000 rim, with a Quando hub. Seems to be rolling a lot better. Rim is deeper section, a little more aero, not that it matters on the rear wheel of a bike with a rack & panniers!

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember breaking the odd axle back when 5 / 6 speed freewheels roamed the earth. One of the advantages of a freehub is that the axle is supported at the ends, rather than at one end and near the middle.
I'd definitely go down the freehub, spacer and 7 speed cassette route.

I remember breaking a few axles when 6 speed was cutting edge technology, I rode regularly with a touring club and our Sunday rides usually included some rough stuff.

shadow master

Bike picked up with new wheel. A ZAC 2000 rim, with a Quando hub. Seems to be rolling a lot better. Rim is deeper section, a little more aero, not that it matters on the rear wheel of a bike with a rack & panniers!
£55 for a quando freewheel hub with zac rim surely not.....must be London prices £35 here and £12 for axle fitted!

Globalti

Legendary Member
40 years ago I broke a steel axle while off-reading my 10 speed racer and yes, it snapped exactly where the threads for the cone started.

Top Bottom