Snapped chain on Trice Q26

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dene

Today on my commute my chain snapped, the following is a list of things that went wrong, I am not sure of the order that they happened....

Rear upper chain tube came away from its bracket
Front upper chain tube came away and wrapped around front chain ring
Metal brackets around the pulley looked a bit bent
Chain snapped.

On the positive side the sun was out and up until then I was early!

Has anyone else had problems?

In 6 years I have only ever had one chain tube come adrift on a customers trike, I think you have just been unlucky. If both tubes are fixed by the same item perhaps you had a damaged part or a loose bolt, could something have hit the pulley like a rock?

OP
OP
Dene

Dene

Catrike UK said:
In 6 years I have only ever had one chain tube come adrift on a customers trike, I think you have just been unlucky. If both tubes are fixed by the same item perhaps you had a damaged part or a loose bolt, could something have hit the pulley like a rock?

The tubes are attached by different brackets, one broke the other just pulled out, I am not sure if this was after the chain broke and jammed in the tube. I was on the road and did not hear or feel any object hit the pulley assembly.

PalmerSperry

Dene said:
Today on my commute my chain snapped, the following is a list of things that went wrong, I am not sure of the order that they happened....

Rear upper chain tube came away from its bracket
Front upper chain tube came away and wrapped around front chain ring
Metal brackets around the pulley looked a bit bent
Chain snapped.

Had something similar occur on a HP Grasshopper once. IIRC, there was a bolt with a wire mount to the chain tube. Said mount was attached to the chain tube with a rubber-like plastic, which perished allowing the chain tube to move forwards and wrap itself around the chainring. (It wasn't the best ever start from traffic lights I ever had!)

Dene said:
On the positive side the sun was out and up until then I was early!

On the day in 2007 when I got knocked off and ended up in hospital getting my back x-rayed, it was the first day all week when I hadn't been late setting off to work!

Top Bottom