Snapped Chain Stay Roubaix SL2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Yes, the bike arrived last Friday all set up. The frame, an SL3 Pro is stunning and a very different beast from the previous one. He has had to pay for the frame under the specialized crash replacement scheme plus the failed components a chain and the rear derailleur. He did try to get them to fund the replacement but they wouldn't. Given the quality of the bike he is now riding he's happy and getting fitter and fighting back from being so ill by riding it; which I think is a good result.

I would have thought his good learned friend, who decided to shorten the chain and ride, should pay.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Out of interest who drew the red circles? I own a 2010 Roubaix Comp, it is a raw carbon with clear coat lacquer. Pictures 2,3 and 5 the circles of cracks look like paint cracks as opposed to actual cracks as on mine you can clearly see these are where the metal drop outs meeting carbon points.

Shaun

Founder
In other words - "I can't believe Specialized don't agree with me"....

Give the point-scoring a rest please.

The frame has been replaced, the owner is now happy with the replacement, and Specialized have been shown to be accommodating and helpful to one of their customers (who will no doubt consider buying their equipment again in the future).

A good result I think. :thumbsup:

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
time to lock it then...?

Too tempting for you eh...^_^

Glover Fan

Not sure why me wading in is going to change anything, but looking at that busted carbon site, there is an entry on June 30th with a busted chainstay.

The description reads "Just "Popped" when I stood up to do a fast sprint around a slow rider on the local W&OD bike trail."
So to me, that could well be similar to the scenario we are presented to here when you consider that the guy on the other website stood up to do a fast sprint, we can only ever assume but my guess from my own sprinting experience is that he was in a fairly high gear which would have put a lot of load on the chain, not too dissimilar to having a chain being too short and with an awful combination of being in a massively high gear as well. This with the honking of the rider literally standing on the pedals putting through their whole body weight and more through the crank arms in a non-linear fashion (we all sway from left to right ever so slightly when dancing on the pedals don't we?) would have caused a lateral force (I think) on the chainstay which could possibly snap it.​
Now if say the OP's friend was descending in this large gear and then proceeded to climb in the big gear and then actually stand up (again only presuming as none of us have facts), then the same thing could have happened. Now, if the chain had not been shortened, then yes the frame would not be fit for purpose as whilst being in a big/big combination is not ideal, it is by no means forbidden therefore i'd be expecting a replacement. However for all intents and purposes the bike has been tampered with and thus Specialized IMO are well within their rights to refuse a refund based on this. Even if there is no conclusive evidence that the shortened chain has actually snapped the chainstay.​
My credentials btw is an honours degree in History at Coventry Uni and a Physics GCSE. Make of that what you will.​
Thanks.​
Jon.​

biker boy

come on brompton, you're an engineer yet youre referring to centrifugal forces, you mean centripetal right? any amount of money says this was blamed on a halfords employee even though someone else removed the 2 links from the chain after the new chainset and chain was fitted by a trained mechanic at halfords. Lessons learned from this episode, dont remove chain links and dont use extreme gears.....!

Top Bottom