Snapped chain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
Thought I would post here, as I'm going to ask a few questions :smile:

My chain snapped earlier. Here's the vid:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNjj-Yi3cwo

As per the youtube description, I think I put too much power in before the chain had fully changed gear. :thumbsup:

So, off to the LBS (or possibly Halfords) tomorrow to buy a chain link remover and a new chain. :laugh:

But, what chain? The bike is the GT in my sig. I think the broken chain is Shimano. Would this do the job?

AlanW

Guru
Bongman said:
But, what chain? The bike is the GT in my sig. I think the broken chain is Shimano. Would this do the job?

Yes, but IMHO the Sram PC991 is much much better. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
All sorted.

Cleaned cassette this morning, took it down the LBS, bought a new chain and chain tool.

The only problem was I was trying to use the broken pin to re-connect the chain, where I should have used the long pin supplied with the chain ;)

£40 odd quid well spend IMO. I think I'll buy a spare when I have some spare cash.

potsy

Rambler
Bongman said:
All sorted.

Cleaned cassette this morning, took it down the LBS, bought a new chain and chain tool.

The only problem was I was trying to use the broken pin to re-connect the chain, where I should have used the long pin supplied with the chain :blush:

£40 odd quid well spend IMO. I think I'll buy a spare when I have some spare cash.
Might be better to fit a power link thingy Bongman,then you can remove it at will for cleaning.

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
Yeah, the chain cost £30-something and the tool, £8

Looking at the halfords website last night, that price didnt seem too bad. I dont mind supporting my LBS either. I need the bike too, so I couldnt wait for an internet delivery.

I might look into the Power Links, but it seems those pins are quite cheap (about £1 each)

The next chain I will buy online, before I need it! :blush:

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
I dont envisage removing the chain very often. If I did, I would definitely go for power links instead of new pins.

However, I noticed yesterday that the old chain wasnt the only thing damaged. At first I thought it was just the gears needing re-indexing, then I worried that the cassette/chainrings were worn.

Nope. I bent a few teeth on the middle chainring when the chain snapped. :angry:

Today I removed the largest chainring and used two adjustable spanners to carefully bend it back into position. It looks ok now, but I cannot test it until later (looking after my daughter).

actonblue

Über Member
"Apart from the fact that every time you take your chain of it costs you a quid?"

You can take the chain apart as may times as you like the power link can be used through out the life of the chain. You can also use old ones for emergencies like broken chains.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Looks like you were heaving it up a steep little hill and trying to change gear too late, right?

Best to get into the right gear before the hill if you can!

Top Bottom