Snapped crank spindle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I was sprinting up a short steepish hill on my singlespeed bike last year when I heard a strange clicking sound. I didn't want to 'do a Duncroft Avenue' so I sat down and just as I was safely back on the saddle my chain snapped!

The risk of sudden mechanical failure or losing traction due to swaying side to side on a greasy surface, is the reason I never pedal standing up. If I can't get up something whilst seated in my lowest available gear, I get off and walk it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The risk of sudden mechanical failure or losing traction due to swaying side to side on a greasy surface, is the reason I never pedal standing up. If I can't get up something whilst seated in my lowest available gear, I get off and walk it.
I have very low gears on my other bikes so I can get up most things still seated, but once it gets to 20+% then it is pretty tough not to stand for the worst ramps.

My singlespeed gear is 72 inches and I wouldn't get up anything steeper than about 8% in that without standing up!

There are MANY steep hills round here so I would have to do an awful lot of walking if I never stood up on the bike.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I've no doubt it has happened to someone, somewhere

Not since 1982......

BloisChaville1982Fignon.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've never heard of a square taper failure though
Not since 1982......
OK, let's just amend it to 'square taper steel spindle' failure.
Thanks for the image! Fignon's broken BB spindle was titanium (as I bet you know). The spindle had been made with the same dimensions as a 'normal' steel spindle (to fit the steel cups) but made from a lighter, inferior in strength material. Presumably the idea was that the few grams saved justified the shorter lifespan and likely breakage. A 'gamble' (connect other thread) that didn't pay off (aka 'failed') with minimal 'upside' and demonstrable 'downside'.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
So have you converted (back) to a square taper yet? Seems only sensible, you being a gambling person, an' all.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
OK, let's just amend it to 'square taper steel spindle' failure.

Fignon's broken BB spindle was titanium (as I bet you know)

Er, well yes.....that incident put me off ever contemplating a titanium bottom bracket axle again.

But the key words were 'not since 1982', reinforcing the notion that failure of square-taper bottom brackets is vanishingly rare. If I had been trying to assert that such breakages are more common than people think, I might have posted the image below.....but I wasn't! Anyway, the clarifications you went on to make for viewers add some useful context to the incident of 38 years ago.

dsc_0051.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom