Snapped rear dropout inner plate thing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Apologies I do not know the proper name but can someone tell me what this part is called and where I could order one? It sat in the inner frame drive side between the rear axle and the frame (presumably to stop the wheel clamping straight into carbon?). It looks like a bit has snapped off at some point..

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220225_191504764.jpg
    PXL_20220225_191504764.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Here's a previous photo before it snapped when I was asking about bonding it back on the frame...

Attachments

• PXL_20210612_155113128.jpg
    PXL_20210612_155113128.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 15

cheys03

Veteran
I’d be surprised if you could source a spare, even from the manufacturer. It has spaces for the derailleur drop out bolts probably specific to that frame too so finding a generic replacement may be tough.
I would make one. Apologies if you already know the following…
Hobby vice, maybe a drill with bits, junior hacksaw, hand files and donor washer of the right size and thickness.
Then clean the area up and glue it in with a wheel in place to hold it while it sets. Which glue did you use last time? Maybe something very tough like araldite this time if not already, or perhaps Stormsure (which is flexible) if you used araldite before and that failed.

Good luck! Whichever route you decide let us know with pics!

It looks like a washer to me .
Try putting a magnet on it to see if it is just steel . Like has been said above . I would measure the thickness of the original and make up one from a washer . The 2 cut outs to the side are to allow access to the Allen screws. As you said the washer is there to protect the carbon frame from wear from inserting and removing the wheel . I thought that they would use metal dropouts in areas like that .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above, it’s DIY time. If you still have the other half I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t put it back like that, it’s just a washer. although you’ll have to glue it place to retain it. If you don’t a Dremel or similar would make the job of fashioning a new one easier.

OP
OP
Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Hey,
Thanks all for the advice... as suggested I made one up using a 1mm thick stainless steel M10 x 20 washer. Used the broken plate and marked around what there was on the new one with a sharpie. Put it in a vice and hacksawed/filed off what I could. The broken bit was a bit of guesswork but after trial and error and offering up managed to get a decent fit. I suppose I should've roughened up the surface a bit like on the old one..
Good luck! Whichever route you decide let us know with pics!
As requested :okay: Looking at the new one its no wonder the old one broke in half, there's not much metal left around one of the cutouts.
Currently curing in the frame, will know on my Monday morning commute if it holds up:laugh:I now have 99x leftover washers wondering what to do with them....

Attachments

• PXL_20220226_163814132.jpg
    PXL_20220226_163814132.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20220226_165753001.jpg
    PXL_20220226_165753001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Fingers crossed for the Monday commute, @Mr. Cow. Chapeau for being up for a bodge.

Good work ! I hope it remains intact . As you say there isn't much metal left on one side . At least you have plenty of spare metal to make replacements ! :whistle:
It's good to see people making things ! I wonder how much a replacement bit costs , that is if it is available ?

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
This is great.
As I said in an earlier thread on costs if we all start looking after our kit like this and stop buying new bikes the cost of new bikes will come back down

Top Bottom