Snapping chain worries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Chains can and do snap - just not (normally)mine! A well maintained chain that is replaced at the correct intervals (according to wear not time) and not abused by poor gear shifting is unlikely to snap - buy anyone who thinks that chains are infallible is likey to end up walking home one day if they clock up enough miles. I always carry a chain tool and a variety of quick links. I have stopped to help other cyclists on a number of occasions over the years but have only used the tool once for my own cycle and that was when the rear derailleur snapped while I was pedaling uphill..... the derailleur then got caught in the spokes and then the chain snapped. The buckled wheel, I could true, the snapped chain I could rejoin - but the FUBARed derailleur was beyond all repair. Attempts to ride home with only one gear failed as the chain wouldn't stay on any one sprocket.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Erm, @steveindenmark it's not really all that surprising that you've never snapped a chain on your scooter is it? ;)

Well it was after reading a post like this that I began to get paranoid which is why I just had to go and buy 2 scooters. I bought 2 because I read another post about bikes breaking down and so I got paranoid about that as well and had to have a spare scooter, just in case.

Since then my 3 Trek road bikes, Koga Roadchamp and Koga World Traveller have had to take a back seat. But I really shouldnt worry because I dont know what you need to do to break a Koga chain.^_^

But I see Frank is on a recumbent in his avtar and they have long chains. I used to have a Bacchetta Giro and if any of my chains was going to break it would have been that one.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
I have noted some impressive designs of late, one in particular using two shorter lenghts of chains. I'm still not sure about the front wheel drive design (yet) maybe that would change on riding one.

probably about time I rode the bloody thing more instead of faffing about with it :okay:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I had a chain go on one of the few times that I commuted on the road bike. As the bike was almost new when I bought it, and that the chain was as new (I checked it with my link measuring tool) then I put it down to a badly installed SRAM Powerlink. Never had a Problem with the removeable connex 9 speed chain connectors I've used for years. Damn these locking, 1 use, crappy links that you must use on 10 speed chains!

And no, I didn't have a chain tool when the chain broke. I do have one on my Trice, and Rapto, as these are the machines I use 99.9% old the time. Doh!

Top Bottom