Sneaky routes to avoid the centre of Epsom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Does anyone have any? I'm commuting down the A24 through Epsom and on into Brixton.

Happy to do it on the way in but on the way home after the CS7 through Balham, Tooting etc Epsom is doing my nut in with all the lights/ traffic/ stopping. I've looked for a reasonable alternative but can't see anything obvious.

Any ideas?

vickster

Legendary Member
Where are you going to in Epsom? Go over the Downs? Or at least along Worple Road to skiffle round to the A24 assuming you go past the hospital?

There are loads of options depending on how much you like hills and more distance. I'd try to find a way to avoid CS7 as much as possible too (can you get onto the Wandle Trail for a much more pleasant run through to Morden or at least Merton Abbey Mills)

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Longmead Road, Manor Green Road and Stamford Green Road look like a reasonable cycling bypass for very little added distance on the map but I've no idea how the traffic behaves.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Where are you going to in Epsom? Go over the Downs? Or at least along Worple Road to skiffle round to the A24 assuming you go past the hospital?

There are loads of options depending on how much you like hills and more distance. I'd try to find a way to avoid CS7 as much as possible too (can you get onto the Wandle Trail for a much more pleasant run through to Morden or at least Merton Abbey Mills)
I start in Bookham so want to keep it simple and quick rather than find a scenic route. I'm also on a fixed so don't want crazy hills

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Longmead Road, Manor Green Road and Stamford Green Road look like a reasonable cycling bypass for very little added distance on the map but I've no idea how the traffic behaves.
Nice idea but coming back that leaves me on the wrong side of the railway line

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
The overgrandly-named Surrey Cycleway Link connects Wheelers Lane to Castle Road to cross to the south of the railway line.
I normally draw the line at going off roads and onto paths but as it's half term I will give it a whirl.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Oh dear. Tried it twice, got lost twice. Good news is that was only slightly slower so if I get the route right it might even be quicker.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah, satnavs are almost essential for following cycle routes in this country :cursing:

Top Bottom