Snell - confused?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

I have some 'capital bond' vouchers which, locally, I can only spend in halfords if I want to use for bike gear. Was thinking of getting a new helmet, as my old old Met one is a little uncomfortable, and I haven't clue whether it complies to any current safety ratings. On investigation, most folk recommend a helmet with a Snell rating. But that doesn't seem to cover brands such as Giro (which my local halfords stock). I don't want to waste my vouchers and not improve the safety of my helmet, but surely brands such as Giro are made to a required standard of some sorts even if they not Snell accredited?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
This is a reasonably comprehensive article on the subject.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Cheers for that, really useful. Based on that, and the pretty unhelpful staff in Halfords, decided to stick with my old one for now and have a look elsewhere. Then decided to indulge in a computer for my road bike, only to find them out of stock of most models. Think I'll try and find somewhere else that'll take the vouchers:wacko:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
the american cpsc rating is now the standard to go for. they have done some serious research and have banned tear drop shaped helmets in most states. they only allow smooth roundish helmets. checkout the bern brand. awesome looks and have 'cool flow' which really works better than vents. they have press stud inserts for summer and winter. quite cheap as well.

Top Bottom