Snow/ice tyres for 26" wheel hybrid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'm looking for some advice on whether my 26" x 1.5" slightly treaded slicks will be of any use for commuting in snow/ice or whether I need something different or with more tread. I'm determined to commute through the winter but my road does get icey and isn't ploughed if it does snow. For previous years I've always taken the car in the poorest weather but I don't fancy taking the easy way out anymore!

Would something like this be better than these (which I have fitted already).

Any advice would be appreciated, the cheaper the better as I'll hopefully only have to use these tyres for a week or two per year.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Bontrager Jones XR 2.35 are good on snow but I don't know if they'd fit your rims?

Nothing works on ice unless you try an ice specific metal studded tyre (never used one myself but they're supposed to be very good)

EDIT: Sorry, just read the last line of your post. The Jones XR's aren't cheap.

I had a lot of fun on the one day of fresh snow we had last winter .. that was on normall off road knobblies on my MTB. The next day it turned to hard packed icy slush and I took the car.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
eldudino said:
I'm looking for some advice on whether my 26" x 1.5" slightly treaded slicks will be of any use for commuting in snow/ice or whether I need something different or with more tread. I'm determined to commute through the winter but my road does get icey and isn't ploughed if it does snow. For previous years I've always taken the car in the poorest weather but I don't fancy taking the easy way out anymore!

Any advice would be appreciated, the cheaper the better as I'll hopefully only have to use these tyres for a week or two per year.

When It snows, I shall be enjoying the commute from the duvet to the kitchen and back again with a nice warm mug of tea for two....I dont do snow...unless I have a pair of salomon's strapped to my feet.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
So is the general consensus not to bovver? Realistically, it's going to snow once, maybe twice so I can maybe live with missing those days, or buy some el-cheapo-cheapo knobblies and try it out. As for ice tyres, is it really going to get that bad? Probs not, certainly not bad enough to warrant an epxensive pair of studded tyres! I think I'll avoid the un-salted back roads and take the heavily used roads and generally take it a bit easier. If not, it's Shank's pony or Peugeot!

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Wiggle do some studded tyres for £26.00 each I think they were.

I was thinking of getting some but I thought the weather was pretty bad last year for ice and I still managed to struggle into work either walking parts of my route or getting the bus on the odd day and that sort of thing....

have you say I'm not as keen as some of you lot to ride on the main roads when it is snowing - I just don't trust the drivers in the snow!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I never needed studded tyres in the UK (Newcastle and surrounding area to be precise). Even here in south-eastern Ontario, where it is below freezing for 4 months of the year, some people don't bother and just use standard MTB tyres with an aggressive tread which they say works fine for occasional icy patches. I have bought some studded tyres though. You don't needs studs for snow, you just need more balloon-like tyres and/or lower pressures; if you know you're going to cycling on a lot of ice, studs are advisable. As I say, that isn't likely in most commuting scenarios in Britain.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
eldudino said:

What you need is a pair of these ...

the reluctant cyclist said:
Wiggle do some studded tyres for £26.00 each I think they were.

I was thinking of getting some but I thought the weather was pretty bad last year for ice and I still managed to struggle into work either walking parts of my route or getting the bus on the odd day and that sort of thing....

have you say I'm not as keen as some of you lot to ride on the main roads when it is snowing - I just don't trust the drivers in the snow!

I don't trust the ice in the snow...plus the drivers....got cut up by one of those wallies in a pre-booked as if it wasn't hard enough to stay on the bike.

Where can you get those studded tyres then?

Oooops Wiggle I see.

Top Bottom