Snow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
I dont think this weather (this winter and last winter) is very much out of the ordinary. We often get snow. Its just the other associated conditions dont always favor it. So it melts the next day or doesnt settle at all.

IMO, It's just a combination of snow/cold conditions, thats caused it two years in a row.

gbb

Legendary Member
D4VOW said:
OMG, we get a small amount of snow a couple of years on the trot and the world is coming to an end :biggrin: Back in the 70's and 80's we would get regular snow that wasn't just a few cm's deep, but at times was feet deep. Back then everyone was saying we were on the edge of an ice edge :laugh: That happened didn't it :rolleyes:

Sounds stupid, but do you get regular snow there D4 ? I used to live near Nottingham and remember moderately regular snow, and when i was a kid in Lincolnshire, i can remember drifts that were maybe 3 or 4 ft deep.

Peterboroughs another matter. Very sparse snow usually but there may be a geographical reason for that. When my dad left the services he wanted somewhere relatively dry..and the Peterborough region was suggested by the services met office. Perhaps thats the reason we dont usually see much snow here.

bigtrike

I LOVE my trike (an I.C.E. one at that!). Just making a studded trye for the rear as the slick as usless except for power slides:evil:.
Being an aging old(ish) git I recall most winters in the 70's and early 80's as I still live in Hampshire Berkshire boarder where I learned to skate on the local gravel pits on at least 4-5 years and one time recall tyre tracks on the lake, not cycle, motorbike but car.

D4VOW

gbb said:
Sounds stupid, but do you get regular snow there D4 ?

We've hardly had any snow for years, had a covering last year and has been snowing on/off since yesterday so now we finally have a bit this year :smile: hopefully we'll be having a white christmas this year :smile:

Back when I was a child we always had plenty of snow, the year I was born we have photo's of drifts all the way up the windows and we played in deep snow every year. The last time we had proper snow would have been in the mid 90's :wacko: I cant remember the last time I saw an icicle :sad:

Snow?

What snow?

4200405136_7d19e1e669.jpg

Not that deep but enough to make it very slippery for the armadillo on the rear

4199650649_10bbfac827.jpg

Only a little load then........:wacko:

4199650447_ea4db27ea8_b.jpg

Relieved to be back in one piece! :sad:

Actually the SNOW wasn't so bad...though I did have a couple of slippy moments...and overheard the words "clucking mad" (or something sounding approximately like that) a couple of times. Had to push up the hill on the way home, which was interesting and tiring, having to run up pushing the load, to keep momentum, with feet sliding under me..thankfully it's only about a mile away

It was the nutters in cages that worried me

Attachments

• 4200405136_7d19e1e669.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 4199650649_10bbfac827.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 4199650447_ea4db27ea8_b.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 37

J4CKO

Sod the bike, 2 to 3 inches here, I can hear it freezing after thawing a bit later on, still snowing a bit but looks like its going to be a clear cold night and loads of ice, tried the bike, slicks on snow, was ok-ish but not for a 14 mile round trip on ungritted icy roads, did it last year remeber cycling primary as secondary was off camber and frozen, HGV behind me (patiently) waiting to overtake and I almost lost it, big twitch, then the ladrover driver who didnt anticipate going to a side road would mean less grip and nearly collected me coming the other way.

I woul urge caution and it isnt you usually but some of the idiots out there, like the girl in the Mini I saw driving with a foot square porthole to look out of, all other windows covered, lights covered, what are they thinking ?

I used to enjoy riding in the snow, its still fun but I cant afford an off as it may cut into my cycling into next year, so sometimes discretion is the better part of valour, plus it gets wearing all the trying to keep upright, my car has all sorts of electronics which flash on the dash when it looses grip, I have a similar system, no dash mounted flashing light just my arse twitching like a Rabbits Nose :wacko:

So, if you dont have to, don't, nobody will think any less of you, there is no prize for cycling in this weather, if you have an option, take it !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Did this instead............ 3 miles this morning, then another mile after some thick snow arrived this afternoon - lots of fun. I did walk the bike to the field.. This was this morning....

Blooming good workout, with sprints as the other kids chased...... almost bottom gear most of the time...

DSCF0148.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0148.jpg
    DSCF0148.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 19

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Snow?

What snow?

Not that deep but enough to make it very slippery for the armadillo on the rear

Only a little load then........:sad:

Relieved to be back in one piece! :laugh:

Actually the SNOW wasn't so bad...though I did have a couple of slippy moments...and overheard the words "clucking mad" (or something sounding approximately like that) a couple of times. Had to push up the hill on the way home, which was interesting and tiring, having to run up pushing the load, to keep momentum, with feet sliding under me..thankfully it's only about a mile away

It was the nutters in cages that worried me

Credit to you for going out in that snow with that load ! Did you have any grip on those tyres ??????

Attachments

• 4199650649_10bbfac827.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 4200405136_7d19e1e669.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 4199650447_ea4db27ea8_b.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
skudupnorth said:
Credit to you for going out in that snow with that load ! Did you have any grip on those tyres ??????

About as much grip as ... no..I can't actually think of a suitable simile. None at all. Cycling magazine a few weeks ago posed the question "Is it OK to be fat?" - well, I found the answer, yes, it gives some weight to the back wheel :smile:

D4VOW said:
We've hardly had any snow for years, had a covering last year and has been snowing on/off since yesterday so now we finally have a bit this year :biggrin: hopefully we'll be having a white christmas this year :smile:

Back when I was a child we always had plenty of snow, the year I was born we have photo's of drifts all the way up the windows and we played in deep snow every year. The last time we had proper snow would have been in the mid 90's :smile: I cant remember the last time I saw an icicle :evil:

I saw an icicle today...or quite a few hanging off of a railway bridge.

But why the desperation for snow?

I don't understand it...I bloody hate the stuff.

al78

Guru
D4VOW said:
OMG, we get a small amount of snow a couple of years on the trot and the world is coming to an end :smile:

It is not snow that is the problem, it is the ice. Normally when it snows it thaws pretty quickly and doesn't cause too many problems. Currently the snow has been compacted into ice and it is just staying there for days with very little thawing. That is unusual, at least in the SE. That combined with the local authority doing the absolute minimum in terms of treating the roads and you end up with transport problems if you don't live and work on a main road.

For example, my office is five miles away from the nearest main road, which basically means that the last five miles of my commute tomorrow will be on untreated roads. It has been like this for the last week or so. My fear is that the longer this goes on, the more likely I will come a cropper.

Back then everyone was saying we were on the edge of an ice edge :evil:
No they didn't, that is a common misconception.

D4VOW

hackbike 666 said:
I saw an icicle today...or quite a few hanging off of a railway bridge.

But why the desperation for snow?

I don't understand it...I bloody hate the stuff.

I love it and will always be out having fun in it when we can :smile: Bike, car, sledge, bin liners:laugh:

Top Bottom