Snyper rims splitting at spoke eyelets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
The rear wheel on my Van Nicholas Yukon has started to split at the spoke eyelets. These are small at the moment, but clearly the wheel will need replacing.
I think this must have been due to the wheels being tensioned too much when they were made. So I am considering what to do next. The bike is less than 18months old and the wheel is still in very good condition and is far from worn.
Can anyone recommend a rear wheel that I can get fairly quickly. I think I need a 36 hole one and of course it needs to be both light and strong (the usual catch 22).
I am going to go ahead and purchase a replacement anyway, but is it worth taking this up with Halfords, where I bought the bike from on the cycle to work scheme? They don't have the best reputation. I certainly would have expected the wheel to last longer than it has.

BSRU

A Human Being
You should specify the wheel hub being used or the OLN, if it is a deore hub(135mm OLN) then Mavic A319's can be bought "off the shelf" from many retailers.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Yukon is 130mm

I got mine with Fulcrum 7s but usually ride it with my own handbuilt Ambrosio Excellence on Hope III hubs.
If money no object I'd say DT Swiss RR465 rims on Hope Hubs would be hard to beat, but if you are on a budget Rigida Chrina on Tiagra or 105 hubs from Spa might suit you better..

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Now't wrong with posting on more than one forum - different views. You thought about getting it re-rimmed with the same rim.?
I've got a lot of rides on in the next few weeks, so don't want to be without the bike, so I will buy a new rear wheel then get the old one repaired with a new rim. (hopefully with a contribution from Halfords!)
I am keeping a close eye on it of course, but it isn't too bad yet.

gwhite

Über Member
Now't wrong with posting on more than one forum - different views. You thought about getting it re-rimmed with the same rim.?

No, that's not the point at all. My point is that the professional wheel-builder who has the most experience in building with these rims is the one whose view should be given the most weight. Is that not sensible?

Top Bottom