So brighton to the IOW..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..anybody ridden it? How long? I may do it ....I fancy some fresh air and and fish n chips....3hours??4?

its about 100km...so ...lets see ..24kmph ave...say 20....wassthat 5 hours....nah...can t be that long a trip...

....then back....hmm...ten hours ish...

then its 90 odd miles from here...so...thats a day ...so there and back 3 days ish...

hmm...now then...the weather...right whats that going to do then...off to google weather...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
In truth, Essex to Brighton down through Kent is a nicer ride and fish and chips on me at the Regency Fish bar!

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

..bit ropey..hmm...i sense a strong pounding from the left on the way down...mixed with a strong dose of driftwood from a sunken tanker perhpas...I was there when that last lot washed up...kind of funny...to a point...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the A259 is a really good road to ride, but the prevailing wind is usually from the southwest...

dragon72

Guru
I've done Brighton to Portsmouth several times along the well signposted South Coast Cycle route (Brighton, Shoreham, Worthing, Littlehampton, Barnham, Chichester, Havant, Pompey). Some jiggery-pokery and map reading is required to avoid some of the SCCR's stranger twists & turns.

Wind is an issue, and they're forecasting a headwind if you're heading west. Normally I do it in between 4 to 5 hours including cake stops in L'hampton & Chichester depending on the wind. I once gave up because the wind was so strong and took the train, but don't tell anybody. Another time I had a 20mph tailwind all the way and arrived just slightly before I set off.

By the way, on Sunday morning there's a big half-marathon being staged on Brighton & Hove seafront, between Fatboy Slim's house next to Hove Lagoon along to Rottingdean, so be aware of that.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

ok..thanks...I think this might not be th eright weekend then..I'm allergic to headwinds and have an uncontollable urge to turn around and go backwards regardless of my destination....

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
rich p said:
the A259 is largely a horrible, busy road.....IMHO

I'm sorry that you think so. I've always enjoyed whizzing through those coastal towns like Bognor and Littlehampton, with their pastel-painted bungalows. I'd cut through Chichester rather than using the bypass, and close my eyes to some of the misery that is Shoreham docks, but otherwise....

mind you - I've always had a following wind.

Top Bottom